I want to put a junior hunter on a bird

xarcher

I want to put a junior hunter on a bird

Postby xarcher » December 29th, 2008, 1:20 pm

I live in PA, but have a 12 year old nephew that lives in the Huntsville area of Alabama.  For the past 2 years he has come to PA for Christmas and each year has shot a deer.  He will spend all day in a stand waiting for a deer. 

I have talked to him about the challenge and thrill of spring gobbler hunting, but he doesn't have someone in AL to take him and he can't make it to PA in the spring because of school.  So I am thinking about travelling to AL this spring.  Can anyone give me suggestions as to where in the Huntsville area we can hunt turkeys?  I guess we will have to settle for public land since I can't effectively scout and ask permission all the way from PA, but if anyone can put me in touch with a landowner, that would be great. 

thanks 

YEKRUT

RE: I want to put a junior hunter on a bird

Postby YEKRUT » January 1st, 2009, 9:10 am

I would try Bankhead National Forrest or Skyline WMA. I have hunted Skyline a few times and there is a good population of birds there, but the mountians are tough to hunt and the birds are pressured a good bit. If you decide to go there let me know and I could give you a few places to try. Good luck and I hope you get little man one!

xarcher

Postby xarcher » January 2nd, 2009, 7:50 am

yekrut,

thanks for the advice.  I will take all I can get at this point.  I hear you about the birds being pressured, but I might be able to take advantage of the junior hunt to beat the crowd. 
That said, I would be grateful for any advice on a few places to try.  I will be in the area a couple of times between now and opening day, so I am going to scout whenever I can.  My nephew needs to learn that part of the hunt as well.  

So far he has killed 2 deer in PA and spent maybe 2 hours doing it.  All because of scouting.  He just shows up and wacks a deer.

Thanks again

If you are ever iwant to hunt in PA, I will be glad to reciprocate. 

YEKRUT

Postby YEKRUT » January 2nd, 2009, 11:00 am

Let me know when you will be down this way and I will send you a PM or an email with some locations to try out. A 4-wheeler would be great idead because it is so steep a truck won't make some of the hills.

Scrapemaker

Postby Scrapemaker » January 10th, 2009, 7:49 am

Checkout Aldeer.com in the forums.Go to the turkey section and make a post.Someone there can help you.If i was closer to huntsville i would take him hunting myself.Its not looking good for me to have time to hunt very much this spring.
But anyway someone on that site can help you out.Theres alot of good people on that site.Good luck.

Longbeards

Postby Longbeards » January 26th, 2010, 5:14 pm

xarcher,

I'm am about two and a half hours south of Huntsville. If you and your nephew are able to come down further than Huntsville, let me know. We have around 2200 acres with a good population of birds. My two sons, Nicholas 15, Logan 9, and I are hunting partners for longbeards and deer. Nicholas got his first bird last year during youth spring turkey season. Took Logan 4 times during the regular season but the birds didn't play along. Our first priority is to get Logan to put the smack down on a longbeard. I took 3 last season. One being 22.5lbs, 10.5 in beard and 1 in spurs. There are only three seasons in my family, deer season, fishing, and our favorite, turkey season. My wife and I had all boys which left out ballet and cheerleading, so of course I had to step up and teach them the finer things in life, (the three seasons). Again, let me know. God Bless.

Return to Alabama