Conclusion: Pasture Blaster

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » April 5th, 2012, 8:25 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The edge cover was thick, but it was also noisy and didn’t allow for much movement. I’d probably sound like the Russian infantry and look like an elephant seal trying to slip closer to the birds.

So I waited and suffered. Good thing I did, too. Seconds after I’d considered moving, a little blue head popped up and glared at me suspiciously. The hen stayed 15 to 20 steps away for what seemed like an hour.

She must have been the vanguard for the breeding party, because the rest of the flock slowly walked up the field edge into range. When a strutter separated himself from the pack, I clucked once, shot him and then tried to untangle myself from the thorny mess I’d gotten myself into.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get ready for the season with your Spring Gobbler Hunter's Value Pack!

Cut N Run

Re: Conclusion: Pasture Blaster

Postby Cut N Run » April 5th, 2012, 12:09 pm

I probably would have been busted from making too much noise in the thick cover. Congratulations on tagging your gobbler.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » April 5th, 2012, 3:06 pm

only the pros make it seem that easy.. i tried to belly crawl into position on a gobbler walkinging through the middle of a large overgrown thistle and thorn field. i had only counted three hens with the bird, but in the tall grass had failed to see his other 4 girls so as i crawled to my ambush point i heard the hens talking so i called to em waited till they walked by popped up and the gobbler was 60 yards away with 2 hens and there i was surrounded by 5 hens.. my desicion was a wrong one but congrats on everything working for you
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 5th, 2012, 7:22 pm

And that is wht you are editor of a GREAT Turkey magizine and I feed and care for a CNC machining center. :D
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Decision Time