Wow...Very Impressive

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gobblerman

Wow...Very Impressive

Postby Gobblerman » January 1st, 2009, 2:04 pm

Wheweee!  I leave for a few hours to go out and do some scouting for a sandhill crane hunt I got comin' up this weekend and come back to find the forum has exploded with activity today!  We got new hunters jumpin' in, new "old hunters" showin' up, teachin guys how to hunt, teachin' guys how not to hunt, guys tellin' huntin stories, fellas wishin' each other Happy New Years, and a couple of our regulars threatenin' to sue each other!  Image  Wow, what a day!  ....Problem is, I don't have time to throw in my half-a-cents worth, or get up on my soap box or my high horse right now on all these threads, so....you guys slow down a little!  Image

....Really nice to see the place starting to pick up speed!

Jim

JPH

RE: Wow...Very Impressive

Postby JPH » January 1st, 2009, 2:07 pm

I have an attorney on retainer and my chaps on, so I'm ready for some serious posting!

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 1st, 2009, 2:08 pm

You can catch up....[:D].....

I'm heading back to the woods in the morning....so I will catch up when I get back....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 1st, 2009, 2:10 pm

JPH, you just crack me up, Dude! (no pun intended, again!)

Jim

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 1st, 2009, 2:11 pm

Morgan, have a good and safe trip.  No tellin' what you're gonna miss while your gone!

Jim

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 1st, 2009, 4:29 pm

Jim, I think its all in fun and jest. I hope.

Did not know you could hunt sandhill cranes. Can you eat those things? I am totally ingnorant to sand hill shooting.

Earl

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 1st, 2009, 4:48 pm

Earl, I agree that most of us are just trying to have a good time here on the forum.  It's a great way to make some long-distance friends, pass the time between seasons, and if the opportunity arises, jerk somebody's chain a little!  Image 

The sandhills winter here in southern NM by the tens of thousands.  We have a very limited hunt for them, by draw only.  My hunt is two days this weekend, and I can kill a total of six cranes (three each day).  They are actually pretty good eating....better than most waterfowl, in my opinion (but not nearly as good as wild turkey!)....and, although it is enjoyable to get out and hunt them, it ain't nuttin' like turkey huntin'!

Jim

JPH

Postby JPH » January 1st, 2009, 5:16 pm

Hey Jim. I saw a little of NM this summer for the first time. I flew over some gorgeous country. I was on the ground in El Paso / Juarez so I cant say the part I say up close was too pretty, but I envy you.   

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 1st, 2009, 8:43 pm

Jim it has been a busy day.  When I got on there were 148 new post since I was on last year.  I would to hunt sandhills.  We have a bunch move thru Indiana each fall, but there are some whoopers mixed in with them.  They say we will never get a season on account of the whoopers.  Love hearing them on their trips thru.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 2nd, 2009, 9:31 am

Dayammm!....I leave early this morning to go check on the cranes again and you guys go crazy with the posting again!  I'll never get caught back up here!  Don't any of you guys ever have to work?!  Image

Joe (JPH), if you landed in El Paso, I'm not surprised that you weren't too impressed with this part of the country.  El Paso gives you a glimpse of what our desert country is like, but all of the good stuff is up here in New Mexico!

Steve, we used to have a similar situation with the Whoopers....we had just enough of them around to cause problems with the crane hunts here.  The Whoopers aren't here anymore, and the crane hunts are becoming more liberal, although they are still very restricted considering we have thousands of them here in the winter.  They are unique and interesting birds, for sure, but the farmers here hate 'em....just too many of them around here this time of year.  If you want to hunt 'em, come on down!

....The rest of you guys on here,....slow down!.....I'm tryin' to catch up!

Jim 

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion