A Different Angle

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
simpzenith

A Different Angle

Postby simpzenith » April 2nd, 2012, 10:15 pm

Here's a look at a mouth call in action.

http://youtu.be/jm--G4hLtUw
2014 MN State & Iowa State Open Champion
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: A Different Angle

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 2nd, 2012, 10:47 pm

Thanks for posting the vid Shane, that should help a lot of folks out. ;)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

msbadger

Postby msbadger » April 13th, 2012, 7:29 am

That was a good video....I still don't understand how you guys do it...the darn things just set off my gag reflex..
I learned years ago to make the same calls ...and a few others that I mimic from wild birds by using just my tongue..throat muscles and vocals....this gives me a huge range from clucks to gobbles...but it comes from the back of my palette not the front as in the video with diaphrams

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 13th, 2012, 10:36 am

Good to see you here msbadger.
Natural voice calling is great if you can do it. The best part of using your natural voice to call turkeys is you never have to worry about where your call is or if its getting worn out.

I'm not so blessed with natural calling ability and I probably carry too many calls into the woods with me. No telling how many diaphragm calls I've worn out over the years, I'm scared to think of how much I spent on them & it is probably better that I don't know.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

msbadger

Postby msbadger » April 13th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Thanks CNR...Oh but my throat does get worn out at times....the secret is cough drops ;) Ya them diaphragms are a tad pricey I see...I like my slate call as well...I make my own strikers out of broken carbon arrows and cut and drilled tree limb sections I pic up....Oohh so cheap am I :D but great sounds with different lengths of rod and limb.... ;)

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 13th, 2012, 2:41 pm

How the call sounds is all that matters. If the turkeys answer & come to it, your only cost should be ammo. :D
Good luck & have fun this Spring.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

lxtagle

Postby lxtagle » April 16th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Good Vid. I will try it to nail down my kee kee. MSB, you are not cheap, you are efficient ;) . Just yesterday I made my own wood striker to get a better purr out of my slate. Works like a charm. CnR, like msb, my wife has an awsome natural yelp - too bad I can't get her out for some turkey smack down.
Fun, Friends, Family! p.s. If you want to kill something, don't hunt - if you want to hunt, welcome to my world.
- "Don't Quit!" ("buckhuntr15 in D&DH forum)

retranger

Postby retranger » April 17th, 2012, 8:42 am

Real nice video. Wish I could use a diaphram call. I have tried for several years and had other folks try to teach me. Just can't get anything but a squeal out of them. :mrgreen: finally gave up this year and have tossed all of them. Have been very successful with my "Grand Ole Master" box and premos "freak" frictionite call. Guess better stay with what works. :D :D
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Calling