questionable strategy

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
silvestris

RE: questionable strategy

Postby silvestris » December 31st, 2008, 6:51 am

No matter what tactics a "hunter" employs, the chances of not getting shot are in the hunter's favor.  It is more dangerous to drive down to the grocery store to buy a loaf of bread.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

JPH

Postby JPH » December 31st, 2008, 6:56 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

No matter what tactics a "hunter" employs, the chances of not getting shot are in the hunter's favor.  It is more dangerous to drive down to the grocery store to buy a loaf of bread.

silvestris old buddy! I can't help but think that the use of quotation marks around "hunter" is in reference to us decoy users.

Please clarify, because if that is the case I want to begin using "Hunter" as my signature line!

silvestris

Postby silvestris » December 31st, 2008, 7:27 am

In my humble opinion, the quotation marks could equally apply to the one sticking the stick in the ground or the one sneaking up on the stick.

JPH

Postby JPH » December 31st, 2008, 7:41 am

In my humble opinion, the quotation marks could equally apply to the one sticking the stick in the ground or the one sneaking up on the stick.

Using a decoy is equal to hunting one. Got it!

Thanks for the signature line.
JPH's post has been brought to you today by the letters I, M, and O.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 31st, 2008, 11:26 am

Hmmm,...I looked at this thread some time ago....thought I had commented on it.  Funny how as you get older the mind just kind of fades away.....

Anyhow,.... I remember when seeing Silvestris post on it that I chuckled.  Knowing his disdain for decoys and their use, it was, or seemed, apparent to me that he was being sarcastic, or facetious, or both.  It just goes to show you that people interpret things differently!  (disclaimer:  this paragraph is not meant to be critical of anybody on here!! Please, do not take offense!)

As far as the topic is concerned, I also have seen the TV segment that shows the individual waving the gobbler silhouette, and I must say I was taken aback by it, as well.  Not so much that the hunter was doing it, but because there was no explanation to the viewer that this tactic should never be used in any situation where the hunter is not 100% sure of who or what is "out there".  Without some statement to that effect accompanying the segment, I can say without any hesitation or reservation that it was completely, totally, irrevocably...IRRESPONSIBLE!!!!

So much so, in fact, that I would not be surprised if the TV show producer, the silhouette manufacturer, and the individuals involved do not end up getting sued over it at some point in the future when some moron (that's what one would have to be to use that tactic in LOT'S of turkey hunting areas around the country) gets killed by trying it!

(Next time, I will tell y'all how I really feel about it!!)

Jim

silvestris

Postby silvestris » December 31st, 2008, 9:05 pm

Gobblerman, you were 100% correct in your assessment of my meaning.  One should hunt with the utmost caution. The better the turkey hunter, the greater your chance of getting shot.  A sneaker is much more likely to stalk great calling than poor calling.  Even when there is no calling, a good, stealthy turkey hunter is in danger of accidentally walking up on someone hunting turkeys.  I did it once at twenty yards and immediately turned around and sneaked away undetected.  It was on a club I was hunting and I would have been questioned that night had I been detected.  I had come in from one direction and the others had come in from another.  I wish I could still walk that quietly.

JPH

Postby JPH » January 1st, 2009, 4:30 am

It was on a club I was hunting and I would have been questioned that night had I been detected. 

Please say that I have once again mis-read your posts and you were not poaching this club.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 1st, 2009, 6:34 am

JPH, be very careful.  Should I be denied access to someone's property because you untruthfully accused me of a criminal offense, I could, and would sue you for slander.  I have no problem with you questioning my opinions, but falsely accusing me of a criminal offense is a criminal offense.

JPH

Postby JPH » January 1st, 2009, 7:54 am

JPH, be very careful.  Should I be denied access to someone's property because you untruthfully accused me of a criminal offense, I could, and would sue you for slander.  I have no problem with you questioning my opinions, but falsely accusing me of a criminal offense is a criminal offense.

That's why I asked you to clarify. I made no accusation. I asked a question.

But thanks for the warning. [;)]

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 2nd, 2009, 7:43 am

HI TRKYKLR

That person must be a Idiot!
Not for me decoys are scary enough.

Turkeybuster

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies