New Gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
turkeytracks

New Gun

Postby turkeytracks » December 31st, 2008, 12:09 pm

I have one gun for everything: turkey, deer, pheasant, etc.
But out of everything I hunt turkey is by far my favorite.  I would like a new turkey gun, camo, 12 gauge, semi-atuo.  But thats all the farther I got I've only hunted for a year.  I know there are a lot of great guns out there its just a matter of finding a good one within my price range.

mark hay

RE: New Gun

Postby mark hay » December 31st, 2008, 2:23 pm

if i may be so bold ? what is the gun you own now?
there are scores of MORE THAN CAPABLE shotguns for turkey hunting.
price range is generally a major factor. finding one that fits you is important. one that carries easily in one hand or hanging on you shoulder.
theres plenty of time between now and spring season,,,take your time making a descision.
3 of my last four birds dropped with a 2 3/4 inch shell from a modified choke.

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » December 31st, 2008, 2:48 pm

I use a 20 gauge, 2 3/4 shells, and full choke.  It works great for a 50 some year old hand-me-down.  I got a jake with it last fall(my only turkey).  I also got my first deer with it this year, and 8-pointer 170 lbs.  So I know it can do what I need but its not mine so.
   I also have another question I hear guys talking about how they use #6 shot and I use #4 shot is that O.K.?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 31st, 2008, 4:11 pm

use whatever shot size patterns the best out of the gun you choose be it #4 #5 or #6 & like mark said take your time on your decision you gotta  awhile to hang out here & talk about it

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 1st, 2009, 2:08 am

before you buy a new gun ask your self what you are looking for in a gun. it's seems to me you shoot the gun you're using now well maybe you have the gun for you already. i know guys who run out and buy the hot gun of the year and complain they can't hit a thing.on the other hand i've known guys who own one gun for years and can shoot every thing with it . i feel it's more important to know your gun inside and out and practice practice. when you know where your gun is hitting. you can hunt with  lot more comfort in getting a good shot.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 1st, 2009, 3:11 am

grizzly hit the nail right on the head trkytrcks,
based on the info you've given , the handmedown gun you are using could be called a GENERAL PURPOSE gun. that may be one thing to consider when purchasing a new one . will it be solely for turkeys ? or will it be used for deer, pheasants, and more?
the Rem. 870 express and mossberg 835 pump or mossberg 935 autoloader are excellent choices. either of these can be bought with a single barrel or combo . of course the combo is more money .
either way you  should consider what it will be used for . if it is to be used as a general purpose arm you should go for the 26 or 28 inch barrel , as it will handle and swing much better than a short one . also , if it a GP gun, stay with the traditional style in stocks vs. the thumbhole style. the thumbhole style is alright for turkey and possibly deer, but for swing shooting upland birds it may be a handicap. good luck and congratulations on your first year success.

Return to Shooting