questionable strategy

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkyklr

questionable strategy

Postby trkyklr » October 24th, 2008, 2:12 am

i was walking thru the house yesterday when a turkey caught my eye,,of course it was on the TV & there was a guy sitting under a tree with a fan in his hand waving it around in a manner to appear like a strutting turkey.now i've used gobbler decoys  but they are in front of me @least 20 yards or so now this guy he had the fan in his hand & his body sittin against a tree kind of looking like the birds body,now to me this doesnt seem very safe what are yalls opinions would you add this to your bag of tricks?

hoosierhunter

RE: questionable strategy

Postby hoosierhunter » October 24th, 2008, 2:38 am

I've often questioned a persons mental stability when someone tells me about having used that particular strategy, and I always get the same reply," I only do that on private property." Like most, the only time I know I have a tresspasser, at least about 70% of the time, is after I hear the gun go off.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                                          L.K.LESLIE  

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » October 24th, 2008, 4:32 pm

If I'm by myself no way. I figure he's on some preserve and he's got his camera crew being the lookout. Still pretty iffy.

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » October 24th, 2008, 9:32 pm

I would not advise it..But I did once see a professional hunter do it on T.V. Bill Jordan to be exact of course he hunts on exclusive ranges .. That I'm sure he was the only one hunting. Must be nice...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

silvestris

Postby silvestris » October 26th, 2008, 3:16 am

Safety in the use of decoys is not a major concern.  Very few hunters will be killed each year through the use of decoys.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 10th, 2008, 2:52 am

Setting over decoys is cool, holding a fan in your hand, especially on public land is uncool!
                          GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                            L.K.LESLIE

joel

Postby joel » November 20th, 2008, 8:32 am

sounds like a great tactic for getting shot in the face

JPH

Postby JPH » December 31st, 2008, 4:51 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

Safety in the use of decoys is not a major concern.  Very few hunters will be killed each year through the use of decoys.

I beg to differ. Hunters get killed because idiots fail to identify their targets. You know, the old "guns dont kill people" argument.

That being said, the use of a fan does violate the standards for defensive hunting, I'll give you that, but so does calling while moving. How many of us have done that?

I have to admit that I have employed some unconventional decoy tactics. I don't think I would put them on TV because the camera does not capture the big picture. How far can the decoy user see in every direction? What level of security is on the property in question? Do I have a partner to watch muy back?

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 31st, 2008, 5:08 am

it's not my back i worry about it's usely planted to a big tree. we had ahunter shot in the face about 5 years ago on public land worst part the guy knew he had shot him and just left him there to get out on his own. the hunter lost most of his vision so i say think how your set up looks before you start calling.

JPH

Postby JPH » December 31st, 2008, 6:46 am

Agreed.

Simple point of fact: turkey hunting carries inherent risks. I do not mean to be caviler about it. I am blessed to have only one close call but I do enter every hunt with healthy respect for the danger, but I am not neurotic about it. I watch my surroundings, I carry my phone and I choose to walk away from situations that I consider to be risky. 

Next

Return to Strategies