Predators and Spring hunt!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
swpatrkyhunter

Predators and Spring hunt!

Postby swpatrkyhunter » December 28th, 2008, 10:47 pm

Hello to all my Turkey hunting friends! I have not been on in awhile due to personal reasons. But now I am back and looking forward to Spring and the sound of turkeys in the early morning. I just had a second surgery on my knee and i am looking forward to becomeing a Father for the first time in June. As soon as I'm able I will begin my scouting of locations for the Spring season. Taking notes along the way. I keep a feild journal of where I find turkey signs and sightings. I write down where, time of day, weather conditions, temp,etc..... And I also monitor signs of predators which can change the Turkeys habits. My surgery on my knee was this past Dec. 10th. So I got to hunt this past Fall and got a few days in for Deer season. I noticed that the predator population in my area has grown in the past couple years. While Bear hunting this year I shot a Coyote in an area that USED to be a travel route for Turkey. As Turkey hunters we should all be working to help are featherd friends with this problem. So we can shoot them at a later date. LOL! But seriously. A high Predator population can dampen our Hunting that we look so forward to each Spring. Not alot of guys in my area hunt coyotes. Even though they complain about them all the time. In Pa you can hunt Coyotes 365 days a year. So rather then just complaining about them we should all do something about it.

wisturkeyhunter

RE: Predators and Spring hunt!

Postby wisturkeyhunter » December 29th, 2008, 2:11 am

I coyote hunt a lot and kill my share by calling. There are some big groups of guys that hunt them by tracking them in the snow and jump shooting them. They kill a bunch. There are also several guys that run them with dogs they also kill a bunch. There are still a ton of them around too. You'll never kill them all but everyone you kill has to help. Also remember coons, skunks, and other scavengers do more damage then yotes.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 29th, 2008, 7:09 am

i have a farm we call the "bowl" it used to be my best turkey spot now 99% of the time all you see are them darn song dogs that is why i started the thread "it aint turkeys but..." that way yall can give me all your "calling coyote" tips during the off season they will suffer for running off my birds

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 30th, 2008, 12:43 am

i know we're talking about coyotes and i do all i can to limit them here.but i was wondering how much damage are wild pigs doing to turkey numbers .i read some where that they are expanding their range every year and they're not slowing them down with more hunting.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 30th, 2008, 2:20 pm

concerning the damage to turkeys by wild hogs,,,, i think i read in one of lovett williams articles that studies showed hogs had no impact on turkey numbers .
 i really find that hard to believe having several years experience as a hired hand on a large hog operation . hogs are very intellegent , destructive ,and always hungry.
shoot the dog and the hog ,,,,,,,,,,,,don't get mixed up on the butchering.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 31st, 2008, 4:19 am

i agree mark, when i first started hunting i hunted on a large hog farm they destoyed & ate everything in their path,it took 2 people to gut a deer,one to do the gutting & one to keep them darn things at bay  i also read that article & im also skeptical on the subject

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 2nd, 2009, 10:36 am

headed out this evening with 2 other hunters to try and howl'em up near a well used bone pile. it's a good setup as long as the wind don't swirl too bad.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion