SMOKE N FIRE

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
wordbird

RE: SMOKE N FIRE

Postby wordbird » November 30th, 2008, 4:41 pm

I've taken a couple of does so far this year with the smoke pole. I've passed on several small bucks.

I shot a CVA Hawken for years. Moved on to a Knight Wolverine and now have a CVA Optima topped with a Leupold 3X9X40. I love ML hunting about as much as bow hunting. Looking forward to the next segment in Tn. It's usually peak rut in our area but it seems to be earlier this year around here.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 24th, 2008, 4:12 am

sat , dec 27 is ohios opener for statewide primitive weapons.get to break out the 50 cal lyman plains rifle and try to fill 1 more tag.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 27th, 2008, 12:52 pm

well today is opening day and i didn't get to hunt due to a family gathering at our home . no loss though as it was near 70 degrees and very windy. tomorrow doesn't sound much better as far as it will be windy still but quite a bit colder. anyhow , i wiped out the big 50 and popped a few caps to clear the grease out, loaded my bullet block , and filled the capper . if it ain't raining and too windy i'll give it a go for a while. got 3 days to fill my last tag with a rifle.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 31st, 2008, 2:34 am

mornin' all
at 5:19 pm yesterday ohios prim. weapons season ended with a tag in my pocket and a ball in the barrel. she's been loaded now for 3 days , left outside all that time and i'm anxiuos to see if she'll make a good ''CRACK'' without hearing the cap.
have any of you ''TRADITIONAL'' charcoal burners ever split a ball by shooting an ax ? my rifle is capable , but i don't know about me. i am waiting for the wind to die down ,,probably be tomorrow,, i'll give it a try.
what would be the correct distance for such a feat?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 31st, 2008, 2:46 am

that would be one awsome shot!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 31st, 2008, 2:52 am

it won't be the shot heard 'round the world,,,,,but you'll hear me whoopin' and hollerin' all the way to TENN.,,,,,,,,don't hold your breath.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 31st, 2008, 10:04 am

Piece of cake.  Use a double bladed axe and sink it in the stump end of a log.  Put 2 roofing nails in the log so they will hold clay pidgeons about center.  Aim so the ball strikes where the clays touch the blade.  Try it at about 10 yards.  Aim about 1 or 2 inches high.  If there are a lot of spectators put some shot in[8|][&:].  That was a favorite at shooting demos we used to put on.  Ballons filled tight are easy.
  Also try to split a card.  Use a 1  x  1 driven the ground and just barely split the end.  Put the card on edge in the split.  HINT; if you can see the card you will probably miss or not cut clean.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 31st, 2008, 10:22 am

No need to leave them outside.  I have been shooting black powder for years.  Once I learned to clear all moisture and oil from the rifle I have not had a problem.  I bring the rifle inside after every days hunt, both flint & caplock.  I have never had a misfire due to this practice.  I plug the vent on the flint and cover the nipple with a clean patch.  Gun is in a cotton / wool blanket case.  No way can it draw damp.  If it has been shot or you fire a fouling shot then all bets are off.  Think about it.  The nipple has about a .035 dia hole in it, a flint has about a .075 hole, not much room for air moisture to pass.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 31st, 2008, 10:31 am

hey steve good to hear from you
i been wanting to do that feat since i built the rifle, just never took the time .
a few years ago i did split the playing card with a 5 1/2 inch 45 colt single action and a canadian centennial winchester lever action RIFLE , 30-30 WITH REDUCED LOAD AND 156 GR CAST BULLET . both from eighteen yards and witnesses,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,offhand ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,couldn't wear a hat for 6 months.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 31st, 2008, 11:06 am

Mark I split the card at a demo, picked it up and presented it and a round ball to the young man that watched it.  His little brother walked up and asked if I could do it for him too [8|]. Now that is shooting under pressure!  Splitting with a pistol is quite the feat.  The axe blade is tougher as light does weird things to the blade especially after is has been shot a few times.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion