rain?

The country's best-known hunters and callers are here to answer your questions. Ask them turkey hunting tips, or just chat about their favorite hunts.
thumper

rain?

Postby thumper » March 30th, 2012, 12:31 am

How does turkey hunting change when the skies open up and the wind blows?
Looks like a rainy opener here in cali.
thanx for the help

Ted
i gotta check with my wife

kygobbler

Re: rain?

Postby kygobbler » March 30th, 2012, 4:37 am

As far as just rain the turkeys are still going to be out feeding around. The only downside with that is that they are going to be tight lipped. They proably are not going to be talkative untill after the rain stops for awhile. Now this sitituation can work to your benefit. Say that its been raining all night and then stops just before day break. If so, make sure you are in the woods because all the birds will be talkative and ready to play.

Now if you throw in some wind then you have a completely different story. The birds are still going to be tight lipped but they are going to be where ever they can to be out of the wind. Now that can be down in hollers, back side of hills, or in a corner of field with woods on either side.

For myself, when the weather is rainy and windy I find it better that I should have stayed at home. But due to its turkey season I find myself still going out there and hoping that today will be the day.

scott ellis1974

Re: rain?

Postby scott ellis1974 » April 12th, 2012, 6:19 am

Well I will say if you happen to get distant thunder it can be a great locator! But I do not advocate hunting through lightning storm! :) At any rate I have harvested birds in heavy and light rain, it just depends on how full of gusto I am that particular day. I do love to get out after a good shower and a front passes. That can be a great time to field hunt and find the birds out "bugging". General rule of thumb turkeys are going to do what they do any normal day, whether rain, sleet or snow. It may be harder to hear them or elicit a gobble if they are vocal, but you can harvest them none the less. Just wear good rain gear and stay dry if you get after them in inclimate weather.

se

Return to At the Roost: Talk Turkey Hunting with Your Favorite Celebrities