BH hunt

Gopherlongbeards

BH hunt

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 26th, 2012, 5:03 pm

Well its official today, made my yearly $85 contribution to GF&P, tag should get here in a week or so. Planning on heading out Friday the 13th (be afraid turkeys, be very afraid) for the April 14th opener. Usually we go mid May, but early season was really the only time that would work for me this year. And as my friends out in the Hills said when i talked with them last week, if ever there was a year when early season might be better, this is it. 18 days and a wake up for me :D

turkey junky

Re: BH hunt

Postby turkey junky » March 26th, 2012, 6:10 pm

good luck out there in the early season gopherlongbeards & be sure to let us know how you do & how the turkeys are acting out in the BH for you this season... ill be out there a month later hope all the turkey activity is still in full swing??? im relying on the it gets better with time theory hope it holds true this season...

now watch the birds will be in full bore breeding mode & wont want/need to gobble much??? hope thats not the case for either of us...

perrysbirds

Postby perrysbirds » March 28th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I will probably be in the black hills that week as well..

Perry

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 11th, 2012, 9:30 am

Well, need to postpone my trip out to the hills, weather has been too nice and my buddy needs to work opening weekend now. The anticipation is killing me! probably will have to wait till my MN opener on April 27th now...arrrrg!

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » April 12th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Was out today scouting. Didnt see a thing.Will be out tomorrow evening to see if I can roost some. I cant wait till saturday.
caution: I make bad decisions.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 15th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Well, leaving tomorrow night for the hills. Will hunt Friday through Sunday. I've been hearing improving reports as far as bird action goes. We'll see, will be a great trip regardless.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 15th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Good luck on the Gopher! I am looking forward to hearing how you do.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Maverick6714

Postby Maverick6714 » May 15th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Good Luck Gopherlongbeards!

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 21st, 2012, 10:29 am

Well no birds for me in SD this year, first time in the past 4 years I haven't tagged one. Had opportunities, but they just didn't work out. I would agree that bird numbers were down. We probably saw / heard a third of the birds we normally do out there. That being said, there were still a few gobblers around. I had a tom within range each day of the hunt, but never had a clear shot. Passed on a couple of jakes as well. It was still a great trip. The weather was fantastic, the best in several years, and when you did find a bird they were pretty cooperative. I called in and held conversations with more hens then I ever have before, and that is always entertaining. Because of the low bird numbers we REALLY put on a lot of miles each day. Covering ground was key. Two of the four hunters in our group ended up filling tags. There seem to be plenty of hens around, and this spring has been excellent for nesting out there. If we can get a few more average to mild winters bird numbers should rebound nicely.

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » May 22nd, 2012, 9:39 pm

it took some doing but i finally nailed a long beard this year. 24lbs,8in beard and 3/4 in spurs.
Attachments
me and turkey.jpg
me and turkey.jpg (42.38 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
caution: I make bad decisions.

Next

Return to South Dakota