it ain't turkeys but...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: it ain't turkeys but...

Postby mark hay » December 24th, 2008, 11:36 am

MY PERSONAL COYOTE GEAR
i use a Cz 527 in .223 with 40 gr. hornady ballstic tip.
my scope is a 10 yr old tasco world class 4x-16x with adjust. object. lens.
i always hit the field with my scope on 4x,,,i can still make a 200 yrd shot ,but when set on 10x , and a dog steps out at 25 yrds things could go wrong.
i made a set of shooting sticks fromm 2, 5/8 inch oak dowell rods , stained with walnut stain to make 'em dark, an old leather belt, folded and laced makes the perfect cradle.
i always carry a folding three legged stool,,,this will usually get my eyes and rifle above the weeds and my old back will last longer than it will sittin' on the ground.
a velcro strap keeps the sticks and the stool together in the truck. its a light peice of VITAL gear.
i have several horn type howlers and mouth blown prey sound calls. my favorite ,as stated earlier, is th '' double howler'' diaphram by primos.
having several different sounding calls will alow you to hunt the same general area more often by simply changing the set up location and the call,,,in other words,,,if you setup in the same place on a given piece of ground , time after time and always use the same call , your success will likely deminish,,,,,,the dogs will catch on to you.
i like the sun at my back if it is shining.
i cover all skin with camo and try to set up with a good brushline behind me that i can BLEND into.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 24th, 2008, 1:18 pm

THE SCENARIO
as mentioned earlier , i fashion my coyote hunting style after RANDY ANDERSON. he constantly refers to building a scenario in the dogs mind.
we do the same thing to turkeys at times .
we giveout a soft tree yelp, then a flydown cackle aswe flap our wing , then yelp a little louder immediately followed by a jake gobble,,,all done trying to convince the gobbler in the tree that there is a ready hen down there on the ground , and now a jake is cutting in on my turf .
building a scenario in a coyotes mind is no different. we give out a long , high pitched howl ,,wait about a minute and repeat. this tells any dog within earshot theres a nother dog in the woods . 10 minutes later ,nothing has showed , so we use a different howler , with a different pitch and make a long ,high pitched howl.
what do you suppose that the resident dog thinks now? HEY  THERE ARE 2 NEW DOGS IN MY WOODS .
right here you can employ the dying rabbit to make the resident dog think the visitors are eatin' my food.
OR you can do some other type of howling,,,,such as a female invitation,,,or pup in distress.
all building a scenario in the resident dogs mind . they don't like sharing their  supper and many times their territory.
even if you plan on using prey in distress only, to mix it up improves the setup. start with a rabbit ,,,,,after a while ,,,give out a fawn in distress,,,or wounded woodpecker. the lip squeak alone will pull in some dogs.
the reason i use the howling is that it doesn't seem to cause suspicionin the resident dogs. the dogs i have called with prey sounds all came running. the dogs i've called in with howling all came in slow ,,walking. i like it slow. when it is happening slow i don't seem to lose track of the things i need to do to drop the dog. a fast moving dog is usually on its way to downwind of your stand,,,,,better stop him for the shot.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 25th, 2008, 2:10 am

i'll take a moment here to say that all this ''song dog '' information is here for you all that want to utilize the ''off'' season. it is very similar to turkey hunting which can help us stay in shape both physically and mentally.
but mostly it will reduce coyote numbers which surely effects the turkey numbers. the popularity of predator hunting is growing rapidly across the nation so there is no better time than now to get educated and have some exciting hunts. i don't claim to know all that will make you a pro ,,,but there are a lot of pros out there that are published and recorded .
the publishers of T & T H also put out a fine predator hunting mag.
 good hunting to all

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 25th, 2008, 6:50 am

merry christmas hay family & the rest of the readers on this forum,sounds like you've done this a time or two there mr.hay keep them tiips comin' & yes a 243 will be my weapon of choice a ruger model 77 with an old skool charles daily 4x16 scope with hand loaded 95grain ballistic tipped cartdidges.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 25th, 2008, 1:11 pm

merry christmas ken and family
yes i have been at it since '96 with slow progress i must admit. not to sound like a braggar , but i've put in some seriuos time on studying the dogs as well as the tactics of setting up and howling. started night hunting foxes back in the early '70s which can be real exciting, but it ain't nothing to DAYTIME COYOTE HUNTING.
best wishes to you and yours                 mark & linda hay

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 26th, 2008, 10:15 am

hey all
got out this morning for a song dog hunt . i was geared up and gone before sunup , yet it was light enough to see good . i don't like goning into a place to call while it is dark, i'd rather have good light and HUNT my way in slowly,, taking my time and doing some glassing as i go. the wind was good for this farm , which is right across the road from our place. there's a break ridge that's runs east to west with plenty of cover for a set up. from my set up i can see well over a mile down this valley , which happens to be the head waters of BRUSH CREEK.
i got situated and let out a long high pitch ''interrogation '' howl. waited about 30 seconds and repeated. i didn't get any audible responce within 10 minutes so i made another howl like before ,,waited a few seconds and made another of a different pitch, then reated the first, trying to simulate 2 dogs . another 15 minutes and nothing to be seen or heard. so i pulled out a horn type , open reed howler and made probably seven or eight female invitation howls. 5 minutes later i see a coyote at about 600yrds. it had evidently came from the far side of a hill top corn field, and was now trotting parallel to the ridge where i'm set up. i made another interrogation howl which stopped the dog . it just stood over there looking my way. then it moved on . i howled in different fashions to try and provoke him but it wouldn't cooperate. it sat on its butt looking my way for a while then got up and just trotted off in the same direction as before.
now back in late sept. or early oct. i missed a dog over there one evening. it is a possibility that this could be the same dog and he is rather gun shy of the big hay field ,,,, at least in the daylight . but you can bet he's in there at night.
the moral of this story is ;
1) know your bullet drop at 300+ yrds
2) don't shoot if you ain't  sure of the distance,,,,,a miss = an educated dog
3) if you can afford it ,,, buy a good rangefinder and use it prior to doing any howling or prey in distress sounds.
4)believe me when i say ''i been kicking myself in the hip pockets since i missed that dog back in late summer/early fall.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 12th, 2009, 7:06 am

well i finally found a double howler & a dome howler mouth call it came with an instructional dvd so maybe i can figure out how to talk yote & kill a few of them critters in the near future

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 12th, 2009, 1:28 pm

you'll be stackin' 'yotes like cord wood.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 12th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I got a few this past weekend with the full moon and fresh snow. Woods was lit up all night.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 13th, 2009, 12:59 pm

i'm taking thursday and friday off work . it is to be bitter cold with some fresh snow. hope to get out and take advantage of the situation.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion