damp calls

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
rutnstrutgamecalls

RE: damp calls

Postby rutnstrutgamecalls » December 22nd, 2008, 2:42 am

I prefer to use an Fiberglass Striker, Wingbone Striker or a Striker that I have prepared using JB Weld to make the tip of a Wooden Striker Weatherproof. If it is really wet you will most likely have to switch to a Glass, Aluminum, Carbon Fiber or Slatek type of call to get the best performance.

If your Pot Style Call(s) get totally soaked the best way to dry them out is to put them on top of a refrigerator and let them dry out slowly. If you dry them to fast the wood could crack or cup. The area on top of the Refrigerator is slightly warmer than the rest of the room which will allow your Call(s) dry out slowly preventing them from cupping.

I have used the Lighter or Candle method to dry out the Slate in a Turkey Call. Slate is like a sponge and will absorb moisture from the air. Here is the method that I use with no ill effects to the call (It will actually make most Slate type calls sound better). I normally do this at Camp the night before and then store all my Pot Style Friction Calls in Avery Double Call Cases to keep them clean and dry while I am moving through the woods.

1. Light a Candle or use a Butane Lighter (i.e. Bic).
2. Hold the Slate Call upside down in your hand.
3. slowly move the Slate Call toward the flame.
4. Center the Flame on the call. You will never touch the Flame to the call. 
5. As soon as you are close enough, first a dot and then a ring will appear on the Slate.
6. This Ring will begin to grow and move toward the outside of the Slate. This whole process takes a very short time and if you expose the call to too much heat it could damage the glue holding the Slate or crack the Slate if it gets too hot. It will take a lot for this to happen
7. Once the ring grows and approaches the edge of the Slate, move the Call away from the Heat Source.
8. Allow Call to cool for a minute and then use a Maroon Scotchbrite Pad to clean Slate and remove soot.
9. Use your favorite Striker on the call and I think you will find that it sounds better than it did prior to doing this. I usually only do this 2-3 times during the season to keep my Slate Calls in top form.
Tim Sandford
rutnstrutgamecalls@juno.com
www.rutnstrutgamecalls.com
NWTF Award Winning Call Maker
NWTF Diamond Life Sponsor Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member
Ducks Unlimited
NRA

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 22nd, 2008, 4:43 am

Hey Tim,

First of all, welcome to the forum. That is some great information about drying out and/or conditioning slate. It just tells me again how much can be learned by visiting the T&TH site.

You have me intrigued about using JB Weld for waterproofing strikers. I'm a big JB fan. I use it under every scope base to keep the force of recoil from loosening them. That's the only way I've found over the years to keep bases from coming loose, at just the wrong time.

Please tell us how you use JB for waterproofing strikers.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » December 22nd, 2008, 5:44 am

I dont even break out my slate if it raining... I strickly use my all weather glasss/plexiglass striker when it rains[;)]

All my slate calls are custom and don't want to take a chance on messing them up!!!

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » December 22nd, 2008, 4:29 pm

My favorite friction call is a custom trough style slate.  But I've learned my lesson about friction calls and wet weather, it just ain't worth the hassle.  If it begins to rain, even a little, I'll depend soley on a diaphram.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 23rd, 2008, 5:44 am

A little off subject but, I like to hunt in any weather. If its raining I like to be out there when it stops. If there is a threat of rain I will get caught in a downpour sometimes.

I have some nice custom pot calls and to protect them from rain/snow I keep them in little tupperware containers. All my custom pots have fit quite nicely in them. I put some real thin foam in them and the container is shock proof and water proof. I painted them so they wouldn't shine.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion