WINTER FLOCKS

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

WINTER FLOCKS

Postby mark hay » December 21st, 2008, 3:13 am

if you've read some of my previous posts or replies , you'll recall that i stated that there were NO turkeys within 60 miles of where i grew up , and remained that way through the late '80s. i moved to where i live now for 2 reasons . one being that a well built home could be bought for a lot less than in the county i was from . and secondly to be near turkeys.
yesterday afternoon , on our way home from deer hunting, i saw a huge flock of WILD birds, on a farm about 4 miles from my home. must have been at least 75 birds. my youngest stepson and his friend were follwing me in another truck so i pulled over to ask if they saw the flock. they missed it but went back for a look.  now the flock was at least 500 yards from the road , and the only safe place they could park put a small rise between them and the birds. so they grabbed the binocs and climbed into the truck bed to see over the rise. as soon as they stood up in the truck bed the birds all spooked and ran for the nearest cover. i'd call that WILD TURKEYS.
chris, my stepson, and i are hoping to INFECT his friend with turkey hunting as he has never been.
them flocks are growing in size every day now and the days are passing .
LADIES and GENTLEMEN spring season is drawing near. let me encourage you to get out now , while those flocks remain large, get close and take in the show. it's one of the best teaching/learning experiences for young and old turkey hunters , to be able to see the different ''body language'' and watch the birds as they make all the different calls , fight for the dominant position in the flock , and get it engrained into the mind as to the differences in hens and gobblers.  maybe take a young hunter with you.

Gobblerman

RE: WINTER FLOCKS

Postby Gobblerman » December 21st, 2008, 5:27 am

Very good suggestion, Mr. Hay.  Too often, the average hunter hits the woods a day or two before the season begins, missing out on the opportunity to view turkeys (or other wildlife) in a more undisturbed state between the hunting seasons.  As you stated, winter conditions have a tendency to concentrate the flocks (and herds) and make them much more visible for those that enjoy just watching them "in action". 

Here on my home turf in southern NM, home of the people-tolerant Merriams subspecies, I can take a mornings drive in our mountains and pretty much be assured of seeing 300 to 500 turkeys in flocks of anywhere from a few mature gobblers at a time, to as many as a hundred or more hens and young-of-the-year.  Often these birds will go about their business within a few yards of the vehicle.  It is a great way to observe turkey behavior, as well as hear the various "verbal interactions" that occur between the birds. 

A few hours of doing this "turkey hunting" can teach a guy more about the birds and turkey calling than weeks spent in the field during the season when the birds have been put on edge by all of the hunter activity in the woods.

Jim

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 21st, 2008, 6:50 am

you bet
the chance to practice some woodsmanship skills and out manuver a flock to put yourself in front of them and turn into a stump as they feed past on both sides as in an undisturbed setting. that is first hand training on the PURR and much more.
what do you say we pack enough grub for 3 days and go bird watchin' ?

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 21st, 2008, 10:00 am

Anytime, buddy!....your place or mine?
Jim

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 21st, 2008, 2:34 pm

boy JIM
SURE SOUNDS LIKE FUN but we're a long way from each other.
i been thinking all day about those flocks . then just minutes ago i thumbed through several T&TH mags. i must first say that i really appreciate the quality of the photos of the birds throughout the magazine. then the thought came to me about the amount of time these photographers have to spend in the turkey woods to capture such unique pictures. and the number of pics they take to get a rare one .
remember the photo of the jakes all twisted up at the neck and holding each other by the mouth ? i've never witnessed that.
i guess what i'm getting at is there are endless opportunities to witness all the strange things turkeys do if we get out. there ain't much to do between january and march . maybe some song doggin' ..
just some thoughts i want to share.   where's my coat?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 22nd, 2008, 2:53 am

soon as our 2nd deer season closes all i will do is watch the local flocks (if i can find them) & shoot @ them furry dogs.i havent taken a dog with that being my #1 objective but i will before long,any pointers mark will be greatly appreciated

NTBNB

Postby NTBNB » December 22nd, 2008, 5:12 am

Our bird numbers in Nebraska have shot up as well. I placed some of my rifle deer clients in blinds and went to the river and watched the turkeys fly down in the ranchers yard, all 227 birds!!! They are sure fun to watch once they hit the ground in the morning, some of the young jakes are trying to gobble and all the hens yelping is almost deafening. The rancher never has to set an alarm clock. [:D]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 22nd, 2008, 1:53 pm

evenin' ALL
welcome back KEN. sorry to read of not being able to locate the birds. i guess wilson was right about you causing the local flock to be stricken with fear. saw a huge flock sat.   may be that turkeys can fly a lot farther than we thought. i'll have to try and get close to that bunch and check out their SOUTHERN DRAW.
i didn't deer hunt this past weekend at jon 85 , but the boys that did saw three different large groups of birds.
about the coyotes,,, we'll have to start another thread and make it TURKEY RELATED.         LATER

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion