What do you do with your spurs?

What's in your collection? What's it worth?
Spurred

What do you do with your spurs?

Postby Spurred » April 27th, 2008, 12:56 pm

I've got a leather strapping hanging from a nail with all my turkey spurs. Can't not save them all (or all my fans, for that matter). Do you display your spurs, or are you like me with a little collection?

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

RE: What do you do with your spurs?

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Man spurred you must be as bored as me..I've been on here for over an hour! LOL

I take a hack saw and cut right above and below the spur.  Then I cut off all the skin from around the spur and pull it off the bone.  Then I take a pipe cleaner and clean out the marrow in the bone and boil the spurs for a few minutes in hot water to kill anything on there.  When they are dry i sand the bone with sand paper to make it smooth and finally hit it with a few coats of clear nail polish.  I run a necklace (dog tag cain type) thru the bone.  Pretty cool way to make a hat band, necklace or hang from the truck/jeep rearview mirror.

Mack
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

Spurred

Postby Spurred » April 28th, 2008, 7:45 am

Man Spurred you must be as bored as me

Naw, I just can't think about anything else this time of year. I have lots of stuff I really should be doing.

Dank

Postby Dank » May 2nd, 2008, 9:28 am

I just keep the beard and spurs (still attached to the leg) together with a rubber band all in a box. My favorite part though is the fan. I fan them out and dry them. I thought i would just do my first turkeys, but it's so easy and they look so awesome that i do them all. I just can't make myself throw them away (I think I need help because it's getting a little ridiculous). lol
Failure is often our best teacher.

turk2di

Postby turk2di » May 3rd, 2008, 3:48 am

You can make a great 1 finger salute key chain with one!

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » December 14th, 2008, 3:24 pm

ORIGINAL: Spurred

Can't not save them all (or all my fans, for that matter).

I can see the fans...

How can you not save all your spurs???  

I save ever one of my hard earned sets of spurs!!!!! Even the ones off of the jakes I've takin over the years...

I guess they just don't mean much to some people[8|]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 21st, 2008, 5:20 am

mornin' Ken
spurs , lower wings , fans and assorted feathers. they get tended to immediately after the meat reaches the freezer. it ain't that i'm a tightwad, but i'd rather spend the money on hunting necessities than pay the taxidermy fee. i cure and mount my own fans. all my beards and spurs are mounted on a slab of varnished cherry. i remove the lower wing , trim off any excess fat and small feathers and cure, for my ''FLY DOWN, FIGHT, AND FOUR STROKE '' imitator. i cover the quill end of the wing with leather that is laced up the outside edges and woven in and out through the feathers to hold all together. i've worn out the feather tips from four strokin' but never had one fall apart. it's a deadly call to be used with caution only.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 21st, 2008, 9:10 am

I save a few wings as calls too. I would like to see exactly what you do with the leather. I'm working on "my room" and have a couple of nice wing calls I want to use as decoration. Can you post a pic?

When I make a wing call I just slice close to the underside of the 10 primary quills. Just a bit of skin comes with ie. Rub with borax and pin it out to the shape I want. I paint them so as not to look too turkey.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 21st, 2008, 10:27 am

Here's what I do with some of them!

(It's what happens when you take up turkey taxidermy as a hobby!)
Jim

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 22nd, 2008, 2:49 pm

hello treerooster
i'll make an attempt to put into words how to make the leather boot. by the way , i 'll wear out the wing and simply unlace some of the laces and put in a new one . takes only a few minutes.   HERE WE GO
you should make a paper pattern first.
draw a 4 3/4 inch triangle.
on any one side of triangle measure to the middle( approx. 2 3/8 inch)
this is the top,,,,now measure from the bottom point to 5 1/2 inches , passing through the 2 3/8'' mark.
now from one outside point of triangle , at the top, make a radius line to the other top point, passing through the 5 1/2 inch mark.this is your pattern and you'll use it to mark 2 pieces of leather.
now punch lace holes in your leather at 1/2'' to 5/8'' from bottom point to the top points.
punch 3 holes equally spaced around the radius and one at the 2 3/8'' mark.
simply lace up each side with one side having enough extra lace to weave  in and out through both front and back pieces of leather going between the quills of the feathers.
my ending knot is on the back side and at the 2 3/8'' mark.
at the lower point i also left extra lace about 8'' long ,,,it just adds to the overall appearance.
got questions?  just ask       sorry , i 'm not equipped to post pics
once you make the paper pattern you'll see how the thing holds the wing.
good luck               later

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Turkey Collectibles