turkey and turkey hunting magazine

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gforrestersmith

turkey and turkey hunting magazine

Postby gforrestersmith » December 18th, 2008, 8:55 pm

who ever has turkey and turkey magazines what is in them?
Garrett f. smith

allaboutshooting

RE: turkey and turkey hunting magazine

Postby allaboutshooting » December 19th, 2008, 6:02 am

Hey Garrett,

First of all, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

I've been reading outdoor, hunting and shooting magazines since the late 1950's. I became a real fan of magazines like Sports Afield, Outdoor Life, Shooting Times, American Rifleman, ect. many years ago.

Turkey hunting captured my interest about 30 years ago but magazines or even articles about hunting that bird were few.

Now to the present day, perhaps the "Golden Age" of turkey hunting in the U.S. we have a magazine like Turkey and Turkey Hunting. I find that I spend more time with this magazine than any other. I find the articles to be well done and by a variety of writers. They have enough "meat" without being so long that you get tired of reading them.

More often than not, some article within the magazine provokes some real thought and whether I agree or disagree, I always appreciate that.

I enjoy reading the product reviews and the advertisements. I like to see what's selling and I like to see new products that are being offered to us.

Perhaps most of all, I like the fact that I can share Turkey and Turkey Hunting with other, even non-hunting, friends. When I'm through with it, I can give it to a friend or leave it in an office or waiting room somewhere and maybe in that way introduce someone else to the magazine and this sport.

Since I've been a member of the NWTF for so many years, I also get all of their magazines. I read them and share them as well.

I spend a number of hours on the Internet each day. I answer hundreds of questions, through my site, via e-mail each month, read a lot of article on the 'net but I still find the "printed word" has a vital place in my life. There's just something about having a magazine in my hands that appeals to me.

Again, welcome.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

silvestris

Postby silvestris » December 19th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I find that the articles in T&TH are entertaining, most often factual, and for the most part useful.  Turkey Call magazine leaves much to be desired in my humble opinion.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » December 19th, 2008, 4:23 pm

One thing to remember. If you read alot of the newer books about turkey hunting you may recognize some of the articles in the magazine. I like the refresher. Sometimes I read an article in the mag and say I have read that before I think. Usually its fresh stuff though and a cheaper way to learn about tactics. I read that magazine cover to cover, sometimes go back to an old one and re-read it. (I save all of mine)

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion