TURKEY BODY LANGUAGE

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

TURKEY BODY LANGUAGE

Postby mark hay » December 18th, 2008, 12:46 pm

I dare say that we all really enjoy watching the birds , male or female, at any time of year. with me i am always on the lookout for the opportunity to see something different, some out -of -the- ordinary body language.
MY QUESTION TO YOU ALL IS ,,,WHICH MANNER OF BODY LANGUAGE DO YOU ENJOY THE MOST AS YOUR BIRD IS COMING TO THE CALL?

silvestris

RE: TURKEY BODY LANGUAGE

Postby silvestris » December 18th, 2008, 2:48 pm

The pirouette.  The body language I fear the most is the placing of one wing over the other.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 18th, 2008, 4:03 pm

I'll go with Silvestris on both of his choices, although anytime a gobbler is in full strut, I am completely mesmerized.  A close second on the positive side is the spit and drum, especially when that bird is close enough to literally feel that vibration clear down to your soul.  Same with a close-range gobble.  There's something about having that gobbler let loose right in your face that can't be explained unless you have been there.  On the negative end, the wing fold followed by up-periscope and the 180 swivel reversal-of-direction always set off my panic button. 

When there are a number of birds together, whether they be hens or gobblers, it is always a combination of drama and comedy.  Watching a bunch of turkeys interacting with each other always makes me wonder what the heck is going on in those pea-brains of theirs.

Jim

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 19th, 2008, 12:10 pm

Hey Mark,

I like to see the dead run, when he's forgotten about everything else and is just running as fast as he can to get to you!

I don't like to see that, "Oh, I've made a mistake here" look and then the disappearing act that they can put on so quickly.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 19th, 2008, 1:12 pm

evening fellers
i too like all that you like . the standing out there and just spit n drum then the gobble,,,partial fold up,,,,take a few more steps,,,,fan out ,,,spit n drum . i could stare at a turkey or turkeys all day !
but my favorite ''comin' to the call'' body language is the ''i don't know if i should''.  head high ; every feather in its proper place; snood constantly changing length. nary a sound to be heard but my heart pounding.
no it can't be done very often. but when the setup JUST HAPPENS to be in the right density of brush and cover, and the calling delivered at the times tom walked behind some brush or big oak and tom just ain't quite sure where jenny might be.
pulled it off twice in my life ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HAD TO BUY A NEW CAP BOTH TIMES.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion