Good DVD's

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Massturkey1

Good DVD's

Postby Massturkey1 » December 17th, 2008, 10:58 am

I've read alot of the forum topics on the site and have noticed that alot of people are recommending that new turkey hunters should watch DVD's.  Any DVD's in particular that would be helpful?

mark hay

RE: Good DVD's

Postby mark hay » December 17th, 2008, 11:28 am

hello Massturkey
there are lots of DVDs to choose from . i believe all the big call companies have them . h.s. strut , knight & hale , primos and many more . i'm fond of primos hunting videos and DVDs because they do a very good job on all aspects of the hunt. what i really APPRECIATE about primos is the fact they don't fill the whole show with a bunch of loud and anoying rock n roll music. i enjoy watching a hunt when i can hear the natural sounds around the set up. most do not do this .
on the other hand i don't agree with every aspect of the videos. one must learn to separate the good parts from the bad. isn't it that way with most things in life?
there is an older recording by H.S.STRUT called ,''SO , YOU WANT TO BE A TURKEY HUNTER ''  i highly recommend it as a teaching and training video.
 hope i've given you something that will help.
got any more questions?  you're at the right place,,,someone will have an answer.          good huntin'

oh, i just remembered,,someone told me that Primos has  A TEACHING dvd  called ''MASTERING THE ART OF TURKEY CALLING''. I've only heard this by word of mouth , haven't seen one. but if they do, and they put the time into it like they did on the ''MASTERING THE ART OF CALLING COYOTES'' dvd , it will be EXCELLENT.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » December 17th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Mark's points are right on, Mt1, especially the one about learning to separate the good information from the bad.  Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult for a beginner to know how to differentiate between the two.  I agree that there are a lot of videos (and audio tapes) that will give you fundamentally sound information.  Having watched a bunch of them over the years, I really couldn't say which I think are better than the others, so maybe the best advice is to get the ones that are on sale!

One thing you should be aware of, though, is that all turkeys and all turkey hunting regions are not created equal.  There are five subspecies of the wild turkey in the U.S., of which four are hunted in significant numbers.  Although they are all fundamentally hunted in the same way, there are variations in the optimum hunting methods you use depending on the subspecies, where you are hunting them, and the timing of the spring season you are hunting them during.  For example, the best calling and hunting tactics used for hard-hunted Eastern birds in Alabama at the end of their season are not necessarily the same as those you would use on lightly hunted Merriams in Nebraska at the start of theirs.

The point to be made here is that you might want to match up the video/audio information you get as a learning aid to the subspecies and region that you will be hunting in.  If you live in south Florida and will be hunting Osceola's, then you would be well-advised to find a video that features hunts and hunting tactics that apply to that region and subspecies. 

Jim

Massturkey1

Postby Massturkey1 » December 17th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Mark hay,

I have just ordered "so, you want to be a turkey hunter" for $5.  I can't wait to watch it.  After i watch that i'm going to look in to some more DVD's and watch and read as much as possible until the snow is gone and i can scout.

I'm also going to keep asking questions, here and to anyone that could possibly have an answer.

Thanks

silvestris

Postby silvestris » December 18th, 2008, 4:02 am

If you want to keep it simple (assuming that is possible) buy this:

http://www.tomkellyinc.net/catalog/prod ... d2cd3a70dc

You don't have to worry about whether what Tom says is valid or not.  If Tom says this is a how-to book & DVD, it should be all you need to become an accomplished turkey hunter.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 18th, 2008, 5:53 am

For learning turkey calls and what they sound like, a good CD (not a DVD) is "Turkeys To Learn By". It plays back the calls of real turkeys. The calls are identified by the narrator (Brad Taylor also the creator) and played 3 times with a space in between. That allows you to practice right along with the CD to get your calling sounding right.

Here is a link, but you might try a search on the used market.
http://www.treetopturkeys.com/CodyVol1.html

I also agree with Jim in that the different subspecies have a little different ways to hunt them. If you are hunting the eastern you will get advice on that subspecies as that is the one of default.[;)] Letting people know your region too can be helpful when asking advice as there are a few differences there even within the eastern subspecies. Especially when considering the timing of the season you are in.

Massturkey1

Postby Massturkey1 » December 18th, 2008, 6:55 am

I'm in the northeast region and will be hunting turkey in Mass, NH, and Maine.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 18th, 2008, 11:38 am

STRICTLY ADVICE
most if not all of the videos nowadays have hunts filmed with the use of decoys. whether you plan to use or not to use decoys is your business. but you'll notice that in these filmed hunts they really pour on the coal to their calling when the bird comes into the picture. this is done to make the birds put on a better show for the sake of having a more exciting hunt on film. it ain't necessary. once the bird can see your decoy , if he's committed , he'll come .

TNTurkey

Postby TNTurkey » January 2nd, 2009, 1:27 am

Most DVDs you watch these days are trying to sell you their stuff. I have fallen for it numerous times and bought a lot of useless junk that doesn't really help.
 I recommend the DVD Eastern Wild Turkey Tactics. This guy tells you like it is. He shows how to set-up, pattern your gun, kill and clean Turkeys. He had a buddy get shot on a Turkey hunt and talks about that and safety as well. You can find it on Amazon, Ebay, or buy it directly from the website at www.adventurevideo.org.
Good Luck

Morgan

Postby Morgan » January 2nd, 2009, 2:31 am

Get the Denny Gulvas videos....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion