Merriam Guided Hunts

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Singin

Merriam Guided Hunts

Postby Singin » December 7th, 2008, 9:44 am

Could someone recommend a guided hunt in South Dakota for Merriams? Has anyone had any luck with the ones advertised in Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magizine? I would like to book a hunt in 2009

Gobblerman

RE: Merriam Guided Hunts

Postby Gobblerman » December 13th, 2008, 11:36 am

Singin, it looks like there's nobody out there to answer your question regarding Merriams guides in S.D.  I'm sorry I can't help you out with your question either, really, but I thought I would at least give you some ideas on which way to go with your dilemma. 

First thing you should do is contact the S.D. Game and Fish Department and see what info they can provide you with.  I believe there are some Indian Reservations in South Dakota that supposedly have a lot of turkeys and offer reasonably priced hunts, as well. 

Unless you are just determined to hire a guide to take you, I would also look into putting together a do-it-yourself hunt on public land somewhere.  There are a lot of places that have abundant Merriams gobblers on public lands throughout the west.  The idea that a hunter cannot find quality turkey hunting without hiring a guide to get him on private land most certainly does not apply for hunting Merriams gobblers in the western U.S.

Jim

Singin

Postby Singin » December 15th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Jim. I was starting to think no one hunted in South Dakota

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » December 16th, 2008, 4:57 am

Morning Singin,
       I was kind of hopein someone would respond too. I'm just below you in Nebraska and was curious what the bird hunting was like up there. I've just hunted central NE so I couldn't help you either.
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

NTBNB

Postby NTBNB » December 16th, 2008, 9:15 am

pm sent

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion