Hevi Shot Magnum Blend- Who shoots it & what do you think??

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
dewey

Re: Hevi Shot Magnum Blend- Who shoots it & what do you thin

Postby dewey » March 19th, 2012, 9:37 pm

After reading this thread and Clark's, allaboutshooting, website I have decided to get a box of them and give them a try. I have a Browning with a barrel 28" barrel and the Carlson .664 begin shot choke. My question is what size would you recommend? #5,6 or 7?

Thanks and after I shoot them over Easter I will report back on them. What type of distances should I try? 40,50 and 60? Thoughts?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WildTurkey101

Postby WildTurkey101 » March 19th, 2012, 10:32 pm

The hevi shot "magnum blend" is a blend of 5,6,&7 shot. I'm shooting an 870SPS with indian creek choke, 3" shells and sighted my gun at 25 yrds, at 40 yrds it's still mostly all in the 10 inch circle and all in the head and neck. Love it can't wait till the 31st :D

dewey

Postby dewey » March 20th, 2012, 11:35 am

WildTurkey101 wrote:The hevi shot "magnum blend" is a blend of 5,6,&7 shot

Ahh, you are correct and thanks for the clarification.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 20th, 2012, 8:32 pm

i love it me and my dad doubled on the opener his bird flopped around for a spell while mine shot with the mag blend was just still not even one flap. the owner of the local hardware store had some in stock with a paper target shot at 35yrds with an 870 that was incredible. the entire point of aim was shot out. i was sold
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 20th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Keep in mind as tight as they shoot you dont have much of a margin of error under 40 yds.

Jon
Turkeybuster

dewey

Postby dewey » March 20th, 2012, 9:25 pm

What kind of yardage did you guys shoot at? I am looking forward to testing them over Easter weekend and seeing what kind of results I get.

Dewey

       

WildTurkey101

Postby WildTurkey101 » March 20th, 2012, 10:51 pm

I've got truglo adjustable sights on mine and sighted it in at 25 yrds. I'd say a good 90% of the shot was all in a 6" circle, moved back to 40 yrds and everything was in a 10" circle :D

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 21st, 2012, 7:44 pm

I shot mine out to 60 yds. just to see what it would do but try to concentrate on the range you are comfortable shooting birds at. Other words if you are comfortable at 40 yds. Shoot it at 50 yds. also as we all can misjudge our distance at times. This will give you a good idea what is going on at longer range. I would start at 20 yds. out to 50 yds. to get the full spectrum of performance.

Jon
Turkeybuster

wingseeker

Postby wingseeker » March 23rd, 2012, 4:22 pm

Hevi13 and Magnum Blend are the best turkey shells made IMO. What you have to keep in mind is
that HeviShot is DENSER THAN LEAD. That equates to 20% or more knockdown energy, the ability
to use smaller pellets DUE TO THIS INCREASED DENSITY. The smaller pellets allows the hunter to
dramatically increase his or her pellet count on target. It is simply a better product.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 24th, 2012, 1:48 am

Welcome to the forum wingseeker.

Good advice Jon. Next time I hit the shooting range I'm going to try a few a good ways out there just to see what it will do. I doubt I'd try a bird at extreme ranges, but I'd at least like to know what the ammo is capable of.

I'm going to hunt with that magnum blend this year and can't wait. I've killed turkeys with the Hevi shot #6s and it performed very well. Most of my shots on turkeys have been fairly close where shot size or type didn't matter much, but I have some new areas to hunt and I look forward to having extended range capabilities if I need 'em.
Good luck to you this Spring.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting