Gobbling

Gopherlongbeards

Gobbling

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 21st, 2012, 9:07 pm

Anyone heard any gobbling yet? Keep seeing smaller and smaller flocks in fields, a few strutters as well. Still haven't heard my first gobble of the spring yet though...

turkey junky

Re: Gobbling

Postby turkey junky » March 21st, 2012, 10:37 pm

yeah i shook a gobble out of a group of gobblers back in feb. sometime??? seen em near my home & threw in a mouth call & they sounded off & broke into strut!!! just last wk i seen a flock of about 40-50 strong all the gobblers together all the hens together got the gobblers to sound of once... my buddy down in old unit 349 says he has been seeing toms sturt n for over a month and a half now!!! he also has herd them gobble a few times he said there was 25 birds in a field i hunt & hes been seeing 6-7 longbeards on his way to mail box so i cant wait to get down to SE MN this season
!!!

dewey

Postby dewey » March 22nd, 2012, 10:56 pm

I had a good time Thursday morning with a gobbler in the parking lot of my little man's daycare. I have the full story under this link.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8081

My father in law by Detroit Lakes saw 5 big gobblers strutting and chasing the James off this morning by his house with numerous hens nearby. He has also been hearing gobbling like crazy he said. It appears as though the pecking order amongst the males has started where u hunt at. My father in law says they are 5 pretty good sized gobblers and apparently he saw a one that had 'Dewey' written on him. :D

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on March 23rd, 2012, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 23rd, 2012, 2:05 pm

Nice Dewey! I've been seeing several hens around in NE Minneapolis/Roseville, no jakes or toms though.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 28th, 2012, 8:58 pm

called in 4 juvenile hens today i called em write into my yard at around fly up time they must of been with in calling distance as i was out in the yard practicing my calling on a mouth call & i had just put the call away & let my olde english bulldogge out to relax with me & 4 turkeys come flying into my big cottonwood trees just out side my house!!! my dad was out side & seen them & 4 more run off up the road from my house they were headed for the only dirt road left in my area!!! lol so really i called in turkeys but i could only see 4 then my dog freaked the birds out i think & they took off & flew over to the other 4 birds my dad was looking at up the road it was pretty damn cool to have seen them do that!!! i have seen them do that same thing 3-4 times B4 most the times they stayed & roosted in the trees over nite & flew down into my garden area & milled around for awhile its cool to see them on my property from time to time as damn near all the woods & nesting was damn near all bulldozed & turned into row houses!!! its our land & 3 others that all have a few acres of land in a small area that keep the turkeys/deer/wildlife alive in our area!!!

dewey

Postby dewey » April 2nd, 2012, 3:52 pm

I have attached quite a few pictures of gobblers currently hanging out at my in laws place. He says that they are gobbling like crazy and chasing away any jakes that get close to the hens. He says that the gobbler in the pictures dated 3-31 he was gobbling until he was literally blue in the face. Apparently the one in the 3-31 pictures is about 1/3 bigger than the rest of the gobblers according to my father in law.

Dewey
Attachments
3-28-2012_2 [].JPG
3-28-2012_2 [].JPG (127.25 KiB) Viewed 934 times
3-31-2012_1 [].JPG
3-31-2012_1 [].JPG (132.57 KiB) Viewed 934 times
3-31-2012_2 [].JPG
3-31-2012_2 [].JPG (138.23 KiB) Viewed 934 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 2nd, 2012, 7:00 pm

If you squint real hard I think you can see "Dewey" stamped on that ones forehead. Lookin good for season C! I saw a couple more strutters while i was trout fishing in Wabasha CTY yesterday, but still haven't heard a gobble :)

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 3rd, 2012, 2:37 am

Nice pics Dewey. I hope we see another pic later with you sitting beside it.
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Postby dewey » April 5th, 2012, 10:52 pm

I am going to be at the in laws place this weekend and I plan on doing some scouting to figure out exactly where these gobblers are coming from and going to. I also plan to bring my camera with and take a bunch of pictures. I have been chasing after this big tom for a couple of years now so I would like to finally take him out.

Hopefully I will be able to tighten the noose around him a little bit.more this weekend.

Dewey

       

Return to Minnesota