surplus tags

turkey junky

Re: surplus tags

Postby turkey junky » March 21st, 2012, 7:25 pm

so true willow-ridge i think everybody wants that quick kill & sure fire method to kill gobblers every time they go out like on TV & what not but once they figure out its not that ez in real life especially on public land & you have to be at least some what dedicated to fill tags on a regular basis they give up...

any guy can plop down on a deer trail & have a deer just come running/walking by on opening day due to people moving deer around the woods for you... turkey hunting is nothing like that you can sit on a game trail all season & not kill a gobbler or even see a turkey... many folks are not up to the constant challenge that spring time gobblers present to us all come spring time if it was EZ everybody would be toting gobblers over there shoulder on the walk back to the truck i don't think that's the case with turkeys there is a 20%-60% percent success rate across the country if that so on a great year 40% of hunters go home empty handed many folks don't like them odds i guess???

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 21st, 2012, 8:40 pm

Sounds like there will be lots of birds left to hunt if we can see em in May ,with all the trees in full bloom by then...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 22nd, 2012, 8:40 am

It should help us better? With the wooded areas covered up with leafs the birds won't be way back in deep to find good cover and it will bring them out into the open areas to find bugs to eat and the farmers should be able to get into the fields sooner to turn them over, and that will bring the birds out looking for worms and grubs, which will open a lot more areas up to hunt?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 22nd, 2012, 10:11 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:It should help us better? With the wooded areas covered up with leafs the birds won't be way back in deep to find good cover and it will bring them out into the open areas to find bugs to eat and the farmers should be able to get into the fields sooner to turn them over, and that will bring the birds out looking for worms and grubs, which will open a lot more areas up to hunt?

With all that high protein food the toms should run in the 24-25 lb. range. :D
There are a lot of bugs in the woods early morning & evening so I figure I'll be hunting the woods and swamp edges then. Fields in the afternoon.
But then, you know, last year mid April I killed my first turkey in a foot of snow. The weather could turn cold and it could still snow.......
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 22nd, 2012, 3:01 pm

They said this warm weather is supposed to be headed out of here by mid week and high temps are going to be in the mid 40's next week, wouldn't suprise me if we get more snow. Never know what you get in this state in the spring, high 70's this week next week mid 40's :?:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 22nd, 2012, 3:31 pm

shows 70s into wed of next wk on weather channel thats for la crosse area & in my area of MN its the same 68 i hope it stays decint???

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 23rd, 2012, 8:55 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote: It really doesn't take much to fill a tag

Sure hope you didn't jinx yourself. :o :lol:
I learned a long time ago whenever I think or talk about just sashaying out there to fill a tag; the Gods of the hunt will have other plans and boy oh boy they have demonstrated from time to time quite a sense of humor. ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 23rd, 2012, 1:54 pm

was also down in SE MN last season & got dumped on with 8 inches of snow on the 3rd day 1st day was 70 degrees & sunny i know all about spring weather... go out west to early & you get all the seasons in 1 damn day thats why i could never bring my-self to hunt out west for merriams on opening day... to much chance of snow & i hate snow not that u cant kill them in snow it just sucks man spring is not winter so in spring i like warm weather its just we cant do anything to control the weather we get...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 23rd, 2012, 2:08 pm

After the past couple of years its going to be strange not hunting in the snow ;)

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 23rd, 2012, 3:49 pm

charlie elk wrote:
WillowRidgeCalls wrote: It really doesn't take much to fill a tag

Sure hope you didn't jinx yourself. :o :lol:
I learned a long time ago whenever I think or talk about just sashaying out there to fill a tag; the Gods of the hunt will have other plans and boy oh boy they have demonstrated from time to time quite a sense of humor. ;)

:lol: Yep thought of that after I typed it :lol: I have been bit more than once that's for sure :)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Previous

Return to Wisconsin