Turkey School Calling (kee kee and kee kee run)

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
WillowRidgeCalls

Turkey School Calling (kee kee and kee kee run)

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 22nd, 2012, 12:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0e7vAzD4ys

Scoot was nice enough to run some kee kee's and some kee kee runs for us again on his pot call.

Kee Kee...A kee kee can be run very easy if you make sure you, DON'T CHANGE THE ANGLE OF YOUR STRIKER as you go through the motions. If you change it the call will start to break over like a yelp. You have to pinch your striker as tightly as you can to kill as much of the vibrations in it. You don't have to put a lot of pressure down with the striker either just like you would normally run your call. A lot of people say to play it near the edge of the surface, no need, play it right where you would play a yelp.

Kee Kee Run...Ran the same as a kee kee except as you get done with your last kee kee release your pinch pressure on your striker and let it vibrate in your fingers. You can go right into a yelp at the end of your last kee kee.

Both of these calls work very well in the early and later seasons in spring. Early seasons when the Toms aren't answering hen calls they will come and check you out because some jakes still kee kee, and they are all pent up ready to breed and the hens aren't ready yet, so the dominance factor kicks in. It also works well for a run n gun or locater call, both Toms and Hens will answer it and let you know where they are so you can set up and start calling.
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on April 14th, 2013, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kenturkey89

Re: Turkey School (kee kee and kee kee run)

Postby kenturkey89 » March 22nd, 2012, 7:24 am

Good stuff, Scott. I have never used the kee kee in the spring but I may have to break it out this year!
Brian

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 22nd, 2012, 8:08 am

I use it quite a bit on henned up Toms, How many times have you heard guys say that the Toms are henned up and they couldn't get them to come in or that they tried to call the hen and she took the Tom the other way? With using a kee kee call on them any adult hen that has ever had poults will respond to a kee kee, it's nature to them. If you can get a few older hens to head your way, most times the group will follow and drag the Tom along, and more times than not it will be the boss hen that comes looking, and where the boss goes the rest follows. It's a very under used call in spring, but it can be a tag filler on henned up tight Toms and also on high pressured old birds.That's why I use it for a locator call, because both hens and Toms respond to it and let you know that turkeys are in the area, so you don't bust or booger an unseen hen, it's nature at it's best.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » March 22nd, 2012, 10:04 am

Another great one, Scott. Thanks much!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 28th, 2012, 6:01 pm

To do a whine on a pot call you do it the same way you do a kee kee, just slow down you stroke and drag the sound out farther, and use very little downward pressure on your striker to keep the call soft and light sounding. It's a call used with feeding clucks and most other calls, it works great on hung up birds.
Cluck__cluck_cluck_whinnnnnnne_cluck__whinnne__cluck cluck
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » March 19th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Bump.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 20th, 2013, 9:40 am

I'd like to add one more call into this. A Keeyelp, the keeyelp is a call that every bird uses from Gobblers to Poults. It can be a louder call, but most times it's very soft, you can only hear it a short distance, it's even softer than tree talk. It's a call used as birds meet eachother, kind of a welcome how you doing call. Gobblers use it a lot as they meet other gobblers or a jake comes in on a gobbler or vice-a-versa. It tells them that I'm not here to fight with you, just to hang. Hens use it as they gather up feeding or just meet eachother. Poults use it all the time as they meet other bird from other flocks, it's just a friendly talk call. I've had gobblers that have shyed away from a full strut decoy, and if you give them a couple Keeyelps they'll turn around and come in. You run a Keeyelp just like if you running a Kee kee, and as you slide your striker across the call it will sometimes change pitch, from a high to low whistle, like it wants to yelp. It works great on roosted birds, if your in close, and as birds come into your decoys.
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on April 4th, 2013, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

daniel ripley

Postby daniel ripley » March 21st, 2013, 8:34 am

great tips. thanks, Daniel
[imghttp://genesis9.angzva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/gbuster3.jpg]before%20and[/img]after

dewey

Postby dewey » April 4th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Here is another good video on how to do a kee kee and a kee kee yelp on a friction call. I believe it is form one of our T&TH forum members.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you ... ORM=NVPFVR

Here is a video on the T&TH main page from Scott Ellis

http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/t ... -in-spring

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » April 4th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Thanks, Scott. I'm learning.

Return to Calling