Best way to camo a gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
RCTaylor

Best way to camo a gun

Postby RCTaylor » March 2nd, 2012, 5:51 pm

i have a black syn. gun what is the best way to camo it? has anybody tried the camo dip?
Clyde

Turkeybuster

Re: Best way to camo a gun

Postby Turkeybuster » March 2nd, 2012, 11:01 pm

Professionally done the camo dip is very nice but expensive I would suggest you paint it with H.S. removable camo paint. You have the black for a base and that works out well. Take your time make up some leaf stencils it is not that hard to do and will run about 15.00.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 3rd, 2012, 11:03 am

Shaman had pics of one he did DIY. Looks great. I tend to agree with Jon. Money spent for dipping would be better spent on chokes, ammo, licenses, hunts, calls etc. That is just my scottish ansesters coming out. :D The wraps and tape are a pain too.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 3rd, 2012, 11:34 pm

RCTaylor wrote:i have a black syn. gun what is the best way to camo it? has anybody tried the camo dip?

I've painted several over the years and that gives you a unique gun, all your own and you can always change it for the seasons or if you just want something different.

Lately, I use only black guns. They work just as well for me as the camo ones and I just prefer the appearance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

shaman

Postby shaman » March 20th, 2012, 7:34 am

I heard my name being bantered about.

Years ago I went out with a guide. He had an old Win 1200 with a few spritzes of green spray paint on it. The shotgun looked terrible, but it did the job just fine.

I'll try and dig up my story on how to bubba up your turkey gun-- it's buried somewhere. I'll have it posted in a day or so. I use Krylon Fusion, and it does a great job. I use natural stuff-- usually cedar branches as a stencils. Go out to Walmart and buy the camo colors. I use brown, green, sand, and black.

Here's some pics of how it looks:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1044646719 ... directlink

. . . and here's another gun I did:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1044646719 ... directlink
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

shaman

Postby shaman » March 20th, 2012, 9:33 am

I'm not absolutely sure on stainless. What I do know is that I did not have to prep any of the guns I've done outside of cleaning off the metal with a little denatured alcohol and some 0000 steel wool. On blued steel, and whatever parkerized-type finish Mossberg puts on some of its barrels, I've not had a problem. The Fusion can says it sticks metal, wood and plastic.
ImageImage

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » March 20th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Shaman thanks for the pic's. thanks for other replies. have a camo 870 but was thinking of trying my 11-87 syn. black. don't know if camo will make that much difference but was thinking of trying it.
Clyde

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » March 20th, 2012, 5:56 pm

how many use guns that are not camo? how much difference do you think it makes?
Clyde

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 20th, 2012, 9:34 pm

My 870 is black. Have never had a bird notice it.

shaman

Postby shaman » March 21st, 2012, 6:24 am

I found the old article I wrote back in '09. I was meaning to put this up on the weblog and forgot about it:

Bubba Paints his Turkey Gun

Do you want to keep your shotgun black? Natural wood/blued?

My suggestion is to look carefully at the resale value. In the case of all the guns I've "bubba'd" were not worth spit to begin with. If you have blown several hundred dollars on a prime piece of turkey hardware, the last thing you want to do is get it near a can of spray paint. However, think of what I've managed to do to a cheap shotgun-- nothing worse can happen to it. I can take it out and bang it around for 30 years and if there's a scrape or a bit of rust, all I have to do is hit it with some sand paper and get out the spray paint.

With SuperCore's gun, he brought me a rat-bag Mossy with a pistol grip and a riot barrel. We found some cheap wood and a barrel on Ebay and put it all together into a nice gun. The stock was all beat up, but it only cost us $20.

Behind all this is my proposition is that turkey hunting is the one place where a cheap shotgun makes sense. If it does the job that's all that counts.
Last edited by shaman on March 22nd, 2012, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Next

Return to Shooting