Decision Time: The Point of Don't-Know Return

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: The Point of Don't-Know Return

Postby Brian Lovett » March 19th, 2012, 4:12 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The Point of Don't-Know Return

Disclaimer: This is another story involving a borrowed gun. You must read ahead to learn if any turkeys were harmed during the filming of the video involved.

So there I was, living Missouri’s opening day to the fullest. Two lust-filled longbeards had flown down at the far end of the pasture, and they honored every yelp I sent toward them. A videographer sat behind me, filming what promised to be smash-’em-up action. Another buddy sat behind him to watch the show.

Within minutes, the dream was almost fulfilled. The birds had worked their way to a small rise about 45 steps away. When their twin light-bulb heads popped over the rise to view my decoys, everyone expected to hear a shot. In fact, the videographer even whispered “boom.”

But there was the matter of the gun. I was on a hunt sponsored by a firearms company, so, being quick to catch on, I was using a shotgun they had supplied instead of my personal gun. I’d patterned several of the company’s scatterguns the day before and was impressed by one, unimpressed by several others and downright scared of some. Consistent patterns were not the norm, and that was at 30 steps.

As I mentioned, the gobblers were at 45, scoping out my decoys. Any other day, one of them would have been as dead as fried chicken, but not that day. Not at 45. There was no guarantee they’d walk to within 35, but I wasn’t taking a chance.

So the question loomed: Did I sit tight, and hope and pray my decoys convinced them to approach the final few yards, or did I try something else to tip the odds in my favor?

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get 66 minutes of expert calling instruction!

kygobbler

Re: Decision Time: The Point of Don't-Know Return

Postby kygobbler » March 20th, 2012, 12:28 am

I believe I would have tried to get my buddy in the very back to try and do some soft purrs, if he had a call. If not I would "try" and be patient and hope to almighty that they come on in.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 20th, 2012, 8:40 am

If you already know the gun patterns questionably, either wait until the birds positively come in range, or pass if they stay too far. That is a tough thing to do, especially when the hunt is being filmed and somebody is expecting results with their product. The worst possible thing in that scenario is wounding a turkey and causing him to suffer because of your actions. Turkey hunting requires patience in many different ways.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » March 20th, 2012, 8:47 am

Let the decoys do their job. I am sure you knew which gun you had. It would be better to not shoot than risk wounding.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

dewey

Postby dewey » March 20th, 2012, 11:31 am

Unless you had pre arranged some kind of signal between you and your buddy for him to call I think trying to whisper to him or do a hand signal will get you busted by those gobblers especially at that distance. I think you just shut up and let the decoys pull them in the rest of the way. If they are at 45 yards and you are questionable at 35 yards then you have to pass and hope the decoys do the trick.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Decision Time