hey all you N.Y guys

grizzly

hey all you N.Y guys

Postby grizzly » March 10th, 2012, 6:44 pm

well turkey season is 51 days away . wondering what you guys are seeing out there . myself i'm seeing what looks to be a fair number of turkeys but not as many as in past years. in my scouting i have seen 5 of what i would call big toms with a good number of jakes . with the mild winter and temps in the mid 50s call for this week i interesting if we start to hear some gobbleing out of the boys as we start gearing up for hunting remember to be safe and awear out there. good hunting and good luck to all ...wayne

Mossberg835

Re: hey all you N.Y guys

Postby Mossberg835 » March 10th, 2012, 9:11 pm

well ive been fishing a lot but have not seen any turkeys, but my friend Dan saw a bunch where we are going to be hunting. I hated this winter because i ice fish, but the turkeys probably appreciated it :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » March 11th, 2012, 5:48 am

On February 29, I saw a strutter w/ a hen in an old strawberry field. Couldn't believe my eyes, and had to stop and watch. Yesterday, I drove from Buffalo on 90 to Mass; there were turkeys in cut/standing corn fields. Saw my first woodchuck of the year.
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

retranger

Postby retranger » March 12th, 2012, 9:13 am

Has not been a bad winter,,,,,if there was one,,,,,,We did not get much snow in my area and I think at times there was more snow south of us than here. Has not been good for the ice fishing. We did have good ice for a bit but then the little snow we got and rain made for a lot of slush. We still have snow here but travel 10 miles and its all bare ground. Reports of the usual flocks of birds in the area. Been on the disability list since August but thinking this last surgery (Feb) will have me ready for the season.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » March 17th, 2012, 6:44 pm

Been seeing strutting turkeys all over the place. The under brush is starting to green up; skeets and black flys are out as well. Weather man is calling for a little rain and warm temps all week. I wonder if the season will be over before it starts?
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

JALA Strut

Postby JALA Strut » March 18th, 2012, 12:20 am

Last year it was very green with well developed leaves already for opening day and will most likely be the same this year. Can't wait till May 1st!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 18th, 2012, 6:59 am

hope all goes well for you Doug and the opening finds you ready to go .. the toms have been really fireing up now seeing strutters every morning and evening for the last week just makes the time till opening day seem that much further away...wayne

retranger

Postby retranger » March 18th, 2012, 8:29 am

Not much activity up in this area Wayne. I have been riding around a little and watching the winter flocks but no strutting yet. They are saying in the 70's all next week that will sure put a hurting on the snow. Not much left in the yard and down in the Champlain valley is bare, but they have been pretty bare all winter. Will start getting out and walking in the woods. I usually don't till a couple weeks before the season, but haven't done much since the 1st of August. I do think the state should take a close look at having that split season. I know you folks sure green up way before we do, but I'm not convinced that has anything to do with the breeding. I think that goes back to the length of daylight. That seems to trigger many things in the wild life kingdom, but there are folks that supposely know all that. We get what we get and just get out and enjoy the time in the woods.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 18th, 2012, 10:00 am

we get what we get agree there and yes every morning in the woods is a joy ...wayne

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » March 19th, 2012, 11:40 pm

ahh...turkeys, where would we be without them. Probably sane i imagine :D :D :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to New York