How's the Deer hunting going?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: How's the Deer hunting going?

Postby mark hay » December 3rd, 2008, 1:01 pm

psssst ,,hey zipperman ,,,,,sssshhhhhh, quiet now,,,,theres a deer in your flowerbed.         good shot ol' boy

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 4th, 2008, 1:55 am

ive taken 3 deer so far this year,the best was an 8 point no monster but a descent deer, its about time to start taken it to them does!!!!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 4th, 2008, 11:56 am

evenin' all
 i know what you mean,,,takin'it to those does,, sittn' on two tags as i peck out this reply .
evidently zipperman took a doe,,,,seen it in his yard yestrdy afternoon.
i wanted to go this evenin' but the body wasn't in cooperation with the mind.             later

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 4th, 2008, 12:04 pm

tags?u know the GREAT state of tennessee 3 does per day!!!from sept.24-jan.11 skipping a few days here & there for our fall turkey season

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 6th, 2008, 12:50 pm

BACK TO JONS85 THIS MORN'
saw 2 bucks (my buck tag is filled already) then later one of the bucks leaves the holler ,,,right in front of my stand.started snowing and things got nice and white. made 3 small drives through the local thickets .
1st drive a blowout
2nd drive i take a yearling
3rd drive jons buddy ROGER takes a really big buck , made one heck of a shot. 11 point with seven broken tine tips ,,, very large body ,,, we think he has been donig some serious fightin'
oh yes,,, saw lots of longbeards today

bluebeard

Postby bluebeard » December 6th, 2008, 1:59 pm

sept. 20 on my first bow hunt i shot a doe 5 min. after getting in my blind. this morning my son and i arrived late and jumped a large deer that was standing 20 yrds in front of the blind while we were sneaking in

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 7th, 2008, 7:34 am

yesterdays button buck is now venison in the freezer,,,,'cept for the backstraps ,,,,,they''ll be tonights supper,,,,MMMMMM!!!!!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » December 7th, 2008, 8:59 am

I sat yesterday from 45 minutes before sunrise until around 2 PM and never saw the first deer...saw a nice gobbler, a jake, and several hens though.  The guy hunting on the other side of the property saw 3 small bucks and a few does.  None of the bucks were legal by club rules and the does were out of range.

I moved my stand and will try again tomorrow. This is getting rediculous.

I have hunted more than usual this year and have yet to see a respectable buck.  I was out of town Thanksgiving week and did not hunt a few days before that or after we got back.

Maybe tomorrow will the day.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » December 8th, 2008, 3:34 am

Well, my season is over.  Just the one unicorn to speak of.  Can't complain, though.  So far this year has been pretty good to me.  I only hunt public land, so I think I'm doing ok.  I heard loads of turkey, but they were all over a ridge and on posted land.  I'll have to check out my double secret opening day spot for spring over this winter to see what's up there. 
Marlinspike Lanyards

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » December 9th, 2008, 10:01 am

So far it has been my worst deer season since I started hunting deer 30 years ago.  Our work has slowed, so I have more time to hunt than usual. Now I was out of the Country over Thanksgiving week and was busy a few days before and after causing me to miss two solid weeks of the season.  I have been going at every chance.  The place I hunt is loaded with deer but I can't tell it this year.  I hunted 8 hours on Saturday and 6 hours yesterday without seeing the first deer. I saw a couple of big Gobblers on Saturday, so I have hope for spring Turkey hunting.  I've been careful to hunt areas where the wind is always in my favor and it doesn't seem to matter.  I just seem to be at the wrong places at the wrong time.  A guy who hunts with me saw 4 bucks and 6 does on Saturday.  The property owner saw several deer cross the power line cut yesterday within 50 yards of the tree I hunted Saturday.  I'm headed out of town on the 18th and I have a conference with the surgeon who will be operating on my shoulder on Monday, so Saturday may be my last chance.

I could take all the antlers off every buck I've seen so far this season, combine them & it wouldn't add up to a good size buck.

Who knows, maybe the next time I go will produce some meat?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion