church house turkey call

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

church house turkey call

Postby mark hay » November 29th, 2008, 4:32 pm

my wife was reading the local newspaper today about an old church house , which is just up the road from where we live. they have built a new building this past year and are at this time tearing down the old one. it was built in 1886. the paper said that the church had located a person in Alabama to take the old beams from the old house and fashion a CROSS for the new building.the article also said that the same person would be using some of the remainder of the wood to make TURKEY CALLS. I'M JUST CURIOUS if that person is a visitor to this forum , or if anyone has more information on this person.          JUST CURIOUS
M. HAY     HIGHLAND CO. OHIO

Steve_In

RE: church house turkey call

Postby Steve_In » November 29th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Recycled wood is a common material in all sorts of things including turkey calls.  Most of the Chestnut used comes from old buildings.  This recycled wood is great as it is usually stable and has very large radius growth rings.  The sides of my favorite call is made from an old porch post.  It was yellow poplar from a house my wife's Grandfather worked on.  Probably over 100 years old.  I just wish I knew what it was before he used most for firewood[:o].  I gave the last 2 pieces to a friend of mine.
Mark, get his name from the church and get a call from him, all the prayers, weddings, funerals and baptisms that wood has absorbed can only give it have a sweet sound[:)].
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 30th, 2008, 12:46 am

GOOD MORNIN' STEVE
ITSGOOD to hear from you. hope all is well .
I just read the article myself this morn and it stated that no one was sure which wood it is, either oak or chestnut.
to me that is very interesting info concerning the growth rings as well as the hidden history of the the wood. the article did state that it is the hardwood flooring that is being used to make the cross and the calls.
It must be very desirable wood as it would definitely be a sizable cost of money to get the wood from Ohio to Alabama.
I'll see if I can get a name to post on the forum.   later

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 30th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Hi there Mark! If you get the info on where the callmaker is, please pass it on to me if you would as I'd like to have one of those calls. It is a 50% chance that it could be Chestnut, if the date of that church construction is right. At one time the Chestnut was the dominant hardwood in the U.S. which is quite impressive considering the number of Oaks, both white and red. In the late 20's a blight swept the country and killed all the Chestnuts, except for the fruit bearers that are not of the American Chestnut. I am always looking for Chestnut and when I find it, it is very expensive, sometimes upward of $20.00 a board foot. I just purchased a 1"x6"x5' piece for paddles on boxes and I paid $34.00 for that, and it was marked down. There is however a new blight resistant strain that is being grown, yet as far as I know it isn't old enough to be harvested yet. All Chestnut now is reclaimed wood, and I base that statement on a lot of research, however if anyone knows different please set me straight so I can find it.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                                 L.K.LESLIE
                                                                HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
                                                                MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF                                                                              

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 1st, 2008, 1:37 pm

hello hoosierhunter
i will contact the ELDER who also provided theinfo for the paper. i'll let you know as soon as i find out . would you want me to post here or call you?
m.hay

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » December 1st, 2008, 2:23 pm

You can call me Mark and I believe you know how to get the number. I would enjoy chattin with ya fur a spell. Lookin foward to it!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                  L.K.LESLIE
                                                 HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
                                                 MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » December 2nd, 2008, 8:16 am

HH,

If you end up getting enough to make some box calls, (based on the names of your others preacher, elder, deacon) you should name it THE PROPHET...or..THE REVELATOR...something like that. 

If you plan on making some to sell, please let me know!  I'd break the bank for a Church House call.  Just something about it...

Doc
Marlinspike Lanyards

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 2nd, 2008, 11:48 am

evenin' all
i just got off the phone . i spoke with the wife( i guess it was his wife) of the man named as the Elder of the church. she said that he didn't know the party in Alabama, it was a member of the church. she is gonig to contact him , give him my number , so he can call me .SO! we are at their mercy so to speak.
TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR ANOTHER INTRIGUING EPISODE OF,,,
''WHO IS THE ALABAMA CALL MAKER?''

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 3rd, 2008, 11:40 am

the elder of the church called me last evening . he assured me he would see the member that knows the ALABAMA mystery man and give him the message and my phone number.  i told him that his time and trouble was GREATLY appreciated.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 12th, 2008, 12:37 pm

evenin' all
well it's been over a week since i spoke to the ELDER. now last sunday the weather here was PERTY COLD . i'm guessin' that might have kept a few people home that mornin'. i'll wait till this coming monday for the phone call. if i ain't heard from the man by then i'll try the elder again. i'm willin' to be a pest to one man to try and help a bunch. don't worry i'll be TACTFUL.               later

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion