Just curious

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: Just curious

Postby mark hay » November 24th, 2008, 12:22 pm

evenin' Beardhunter
judging by your words,,,i'd say you're HOOKED. hope you have a subscription to T&TH magazine.
every chance you can get close to the birds , even during the off season,to observe their actions ,watch them as they call,and listen intently to their vocalizations,will be a top of the line education.look at the terrain,the thickets ,the open timber. make mental notes of these places so you will be able to use them to your advantage during the hunt. SADDLES,,,those little dips in the top of a ridge , turkeys love to use saddles to cross over the ridge top,moving from one side to the other.
 have you tried the new calls yet? keep at them , they will work.
not everyone will set up the same way. some like to be in a more open setting so they can watch the birds movements. personally i like to be just inside a thicket. or maybe just around the point of a thicket or steep ridge. i've had more consistent success using this method as it will put the bird inside gun range when he reaches the spot where he can see where the call came from. he will likely hang up if you can see him 100yards or so across a holler.when i say thicket , i mean just enough cover to cause me to blend in better and to cause him to keep looking for the hen that convinced him to come around the ridge point or around the thickets point.             take pictures and log your hunts .

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » November 25th, 2008, 2:05 pm

Beardbuster your hooked alright,,the 3 ps are the way to go when you cant hunt them turks.read all you can and hang with fellows who kill a lot of turkeys...this is a great site I think hang around and well have some stories...zipperman

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 25th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. Fortunately I have till the end of December before Fall season is over and still have an empty tag(2 birds either sex). I have some more fun ahead. I'm planning on going out all weekend as the weather is going to be OK, lower 40's. Hopefully I'll have a story to tell.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion