Just curious

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
NEbeardhunter21

Just curious

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 20th, 2008, 2:19 pm

Since I'm new here I was just wondering if any of you out there are from Nebraska. I don't see my state so maybe I'm a "loner".

mark hay

RE: Just curious

Postby mark hay » November 20th, 2008, 2:41 pm

welcome BEARDHUNTER,
i ain't from NE but i'd say you're hooked up with some fine company. i haven't met any in person but to talk with these people on the subject of turkeys and hunting and all things related, well i look forward every evening to getting on here to find out who did what and how they did it . Very interesting crowd . SO! LETS CHAT,,CUTT,,and CACKLE.    later

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 20th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Thanks Mark. I moved to NE last May and just started hunting this year. I just discovered T&TH and this forum and thought it would be a great place to talk turkey and see if anyone out there lived nearby.

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 21st, 2008, 3:36 am

Hey Hoosierhunter just wondering what part of IN you are from. I grew up in NW IN and just recently left.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 21st, 2008, 12:43 pm

evenin' Beardhunter
let me say welcome again , this time to the sport of hunting. been at it myself just over 40 years. but only the last 10 years as a turkey addict.
Are you beginning with a gun or bow or both? are you going it alone or have you a partner ?
by the way , 40 years ain't enough,,,,i'm still learning .     later
              ''OLDSCHOOLTURKEYTACTICS''

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 21st, 2008, 3:23 pm

40 years, WOW, the stories you must have. My buddy took me with him this past spring huntin' gobblers and in 2 trips he got 2 toms and a jake. I was following him along in jeans and a red sweatshirt, it's a wonder we got anything to stick around long enough for a shot. Needless to say I've learned ALOT since then. This summer I tried a bunch of guns and finally "settled" on a Rem. 870 with the shurshot stock and full MOO camo. As far as I'm concerned I will never own another shotgun. 870 and I have become one. I'm curently shopping for a bow for both turkey and deer. After the success of this deer season I'm totally hooked on hunting. 

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 21st, 2008, 3:29 pm

Hey Beardhunter, I'm from the Ft. Wayne area.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                         L.K.LESLIE
       HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
       MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF 

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 21st, 2008, 4:04 pm

Not too far from my hometown. I grew up in Valparaiso, just a "short" trip down Hwy 30. How is the hunting in the eastern part of the state? I have an uncle in Rensselaer area and he says ther aren't any turkeys on his place.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 23rd, 2008, 3:50 am

good mornin' beardhunter
glad to hear that you are HOOKED. i'd say from experience that you made a good choice in a turkey gun.used one myself for a few years. if long range turkey shots are in the norm, and with the right choke tube , the 870 is very capable. funny thing how turkey  guns and mouth calls have so much in common. sometimes a hunter gets lucky so to speak when choosing either one and all works out very nice. then on the other hand sometimes it takes quite a bit of time and money to try out different choke tubes , ammo ,and several mouth calls. BUT! that is a very big part of the enjoyment of the sport.a bit of advice from me would be to never take anything for granted . check all of your gear often,,,every item . handle that gun often. work the action and safety button every time you pick it up and SOON it'll become part of you and when the ,moment of truth comes it'll all be second nature and and you won't have to think about so much. by the way i sometimes usethe work ''LUCKY''.well superstitious i ain't. i do use that word loosely. there ain't any luck involved in hunting and shooting.becoming familiar with the firearm and the animal and the land is not luck but SKILL.            BE SAFE                 LATER          ''ostt''

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 23rd, 2008, 6:42 pm

Evening to you Mark,
               I kind of figured it's just like you said, it's practice, practice, practice from here. It's funny you mentioned mouth calls because I just today dropped by my "local" Bass Pro Shop (4 hours away) and bought 2 mouth calls, a glass pot call, a box call and a crow call, all from H.S. Strut. I plan on trying them out with the rest of this falls season and practicing like crazy for spring. I already can't wait to call in "Tommy Boy" for the first time. Not that chasing isn't fun. Till next time, may your shells be live and your Tom's be monsters.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion