vest or...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

RE: vest or...

Postby mark hay » November 21st, 2008, 12:51 pm

JUST FINISHED READING all of the above . now i have an idea of what a TOM BOGGIN might be but would like to know for sure. MR. HOOSIER or MR. TRKYKLR,,,,if you please.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 21st, 2008, 4:27 pm

A Tomboggin is a bag that goes over the turkeys head and neck that cinches tight to keep the blood off your back when carrying the bird from the field. This keeps from ruining good camo,especially if it's Mossy Oak Obsession(hope ya don't mind the plug) or transference of blood to your truck seats. In the bag,the tomboggin, is a blood cloth that absorbs the blood from the bird. We have an orange decal, 3''X 5'' that has a place for your name and address and lic. #. Just peel off the back and stick it on the tomboggin and your bird is tagged!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                                          L.K.LESLIE
                                                                         HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
                                                                         MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 22nd, 2008, 11:27 am

hey Larry , i had an idea that was what it would be. never seen one , weel maybe once in a magazine photo,T&TH of course.could have used one last week on my trophy. i hanged him from a cedar tree for a while to drain. meanwhile i chased myself in small cicles kicking myself in the hind quarters for leaving the camera in my vest ,,,in the truck.    WHAT A BONEHEAD!!!
thanks

benhanson

Postby benhanson » December 24th, 2008, 5:42 am

i don't where a vest but where pants with 6 pockets and when it's cold a coat with 4 more and i carry
1 slate call
2 strikers
4 mouths
shells
granola bars
hen and jake decoys
small blind
ratchet pruners
water bottle
multi tool
gun
facemask
pen
tags

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » December 24th, 2008, 7:34 am

In the trophy totin section of my vest I carry two decoys. Between the vest pockets and cargo pockets on my pants I carry 1 box cutter, 1 Glass pot and peg, 1 trough style slate, 3 strikers, 1 diaphram call (there's another in my cheek), 1 locator call, 1 smoked turkey sammich with spicy mustard and a small piece of scotchbrite.  I have a small compass in my left front pocket and a 4"X4" laminated topo of the area I'm hunting in my left rear pocket.  My cell phone and keys are always in my right front pocket.  License, permits and tags are in my wallet.   I have another bag which clips onto the vest and holds a small bottle of water and 12 feet of camo blind material cut into 4 sections all rolled up.  The wife put a seam in it and I threaded lots of camo shock cord through the seam.  If I need a blind and there ain't much around, I can unroll it and tie off to the nearest tree, then slide the camo panels where I need them. 

Oh, yeah, and lest ye think I run the birds down and kill them with my bare hands...........in my hands I carry a Mossberg 835 loaded out with 5 rounds of #6.  Don't need no extra shells - If I can't kill him with what I've got in the tube, he deserves to live another day.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion