NWTF on HISTORY CHANNEL

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
hoosierhunter

NWTF on HISTORY CHANNEL

Postby hoosierhunter » November 21st, 2008, 3:37 am

I THOUGHT I WOULD JUST PASS ON THE FACT THAT THE HISTORY CHANNEL WILL AIR A SPECIAL THANSGIVING MODERN MARVELS FEATURE, WHICH INCLUDES HOW THE NATIONAL WILD TURKEY FOUNDATION AND ITS VOLUNTEERS HAVE PLAYED A KEY ROLE IN THE RESTORATION OF THE WILD TURKEY IN NORTH AMERICA. MONDAY NOV. 24 FROM 8-9PM EST.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                        L.K.LESLIE
                                                       HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
                                                       MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF 

silvestris

RE: NWTF on HISTORY CHANNEL

Postby silvestris » November 21st, 2008, 3:56 am

The turkeys around here were pretty much restored before 1973, the year the NWTF was formed.  They are good at setting up a huge organization, hiring lots of people and putting on a convention.  I don't give them much credit for any turkey restoration.  I give that credit to our wonderful state game agencies.  In fact, the turkey populations and good turkey habitat around here have declined around here since the inception of the NWTF.  I have always wondered is there was a connecinon.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 21st, 2008, 8:04 am

Hey Larry,

I appreciate the reminder. I have set our DVR to record that program. It should be interesting.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 21st, 2008, 4:15 pm

I am puzzled by your comment silvestris. Just how is it that you link the loss of habitat in your area, and a supposed decline in the turkey population also in your area, to the largest NON-PROFIT conservation group in the WORLD. It appears that you are for some reason, resentful of the National Wild Turkey Federation. What happened, that causes you to express your disdain towards an group of people, who are just trying to help in thier own way restore turkeys and habitat acroos North America. I'm glad that you had turkeys to hunt in the 70s. Many of us did not, and there are more that didn't have turkeys, than those that did. I for one, do appreciate the efforts put forth by the state governments and they are to be commended, but when giving credit, lets be sure and give credit to everyone to whom it is due and that includes the NWTF and its thousands of volunteers and 250,000 members +!  I, L.K.LESLIE, say," THANK YOU!" to all the members and volunteers of the NWTF!
       Maybe, you should just watch the show. You might learn something new, you never know. If not, next time edit your entire post if all you have is inuendo towards others instead of facts!

L.K.LESLIE
                                                              MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF

silvestris

Postby silvestris » November 22nd, 2008, 12:44 am

L.K., my edits were to correct spelling and grammar.  The remarks about a connection between the NWTF and the decline of turkeys and habitat in my part of the world was made somewhat tongue-in-cheek.  I just give the NWTF a very small degree of credit for any significant turkey restoration (an occasional cardboard box).  I do give them an extreme degree of credit for filling the woods with inconsiderate, unknowlegable turkey hunters for whom you do not have to wonder whether they will screw up your hunt, but just exactly how.

As for the TV show, there will be little in the show about the wild turkey.  Most of the show will be about the raising of tame turkeys for the table and the methods used to raise, kill, process and market those turkeys.  And, yes, the NWTF, rather than God, will be portrayed as having created the wild turkey.  I think the organization is unnecesary and I don't think I will be changing my mind in this lifetime.

Now, as for "Turkey and Turkey Hunting Magazine", I read each issue of that one from cover to cover, while I merely browse "Turkey Call" each month (yes, I wasted $300 in 1975 to become a life member which gives me the right to discuss the organization).  I am sorry if I offend anyone by refusing to follow the herd mentality.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 22nd, 2008, 6:19 am

Hello Bill. First let me say that I respect your right to voice your opinion, as long as your voice doesn't violate the rights of others.
        A tongue in cheek remark denotes a statement that is meant as wit or a joke. Your statement from your first post borders on slander, which is an accusation that is meant to harm or cause financial loss to those to whom it is directed. Your last post fills that desription. Your statement, "I do give them an extreme degree of credit, for filling the woods with inconsiderate, unknowlegable turkey hunters.... " is very slanderous, as if to say they are purposely doing what you accuse them of. Yet, maybe I'm misunderstanding your intent.
        Sometime ago, I had the oppurtunity to spend some time in Missoula Mo. That was the most liberal city, besides San Fransisco, that I've ever visited. There were antis, tree huggers, and other peta like groups every where, and on every corner, exercising thier freedom of speech. I took the time to listen to thier rhetoric in an effort to understand what they were using for ammunition, in thier effort to see that we hunters, you and I Bill, lose our rights as hunters, and firearms owners. One of thier chosen tactics was to use statements of hunters against other hunting groups, in this case the group was the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation whose home is in Missoula. They sought to divide and conquer the rights of hunters from within thier own ranks, while at the same time pretending to support the voice of the hunters who were'nt in agrrement with the RMEF. My point is simply this Bill. You may soon find you have a whole bunch of friends you didn't even know you had.
        Furthermore, youmentioned GOD as the CREATOR of the wild turkey and you are right. I don't believe anyone will try and put the label of CREATOR on the NWTF, because of aplug on the History channel. Since you mentioned GOD as the CREATOR, may I remind you that he is the CREATOR of all that ever was, is, or ever will be, as well as the CREATOR of the set of rules by which we should strive to live by. I understand then, that by your statement, you believe in GOD, and quite possibly might be my brother in CHRIST, so in love, I'll quote a well published author. The Apostle Paul stated in his letter to the Ephesians in Ephesians 4:31, " Get rid of all bitterness, rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice."
        Last but not least Bill, your life membership in the NWTF does not give you a right to discuss the NWTF. It is your right as a citizen of this great country that gives you your right to discuss the NWTF and many other liberties. You just happen to be as a life member, the one who is fighting the orginization from within. Do I hear your new friends knocking at the door. That Bill, is tongue in cheek wit, or rather my simple attempt at it.
        I am not offended by your statements Bill, because I know the truth, but in case others are offended I suggest thet research the NWTF and who they are, what they do, what they have accomplished, and what they hope to accomplish in the future, and they to will know the truth, and then hopefully that truth will set them free from being offended.
        My words are not meant to be hurtfull Bill, but rather just food for thought, that they may be nourishing to someone. Take what you can use and leave the rest, as they are just the musings, mutterings and thoughts of an ole preacher and follower of JESUS and the flock mentality. God bless you Bill.

L.K.LESLIE
                                                                   MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF

silvestris

Postby silvestris » November 22nd, 2008, 12:24 pm

I guess you are right L.K.  Even when the baby is ugly it is wrong to point out the fact.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 22nd, 2008, 12:52 pm

Now that is what I call some real fine tongue in cheek! Thats funny, I don't care who ya are!
                                    L.K.LESLIE
                  MOSSY OAK PROSTAFF

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion