new question

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkyklr

new question

Postby trkyklr » November 19th, 2008, 1:48 am

ok, lets see if i can get a couple answers on this one.while walking, hunting or scouting,when you come upon a stray turkey feather do you stop & pick it up?

i do if im on public land,that way one of you cant come behind me & find that bit of turkey sign

rbewilson

RE: new question

Postby rbewilson » November 21st, 2008, 4:22 pm

Trkyklr, I do stop and pick up feather when I am out scouting for turkey for the same reason your do.

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 21st, 2008, 4:31 pm

I've only hunted private land but I also pick feathers up but maybe for a little different reason. I pick them up so that I don't stumble across them later and get a "false" reading of where the flock might be active. "Cleaning up" so to speak guarantees the feathers I come across are fresh and not from weeks or months ago.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 21st, 2008, 5:50 pm

Hey Ken,

I still pick up feathers just to look at them, not sure that I've ever learned anything from doing that but I do. I'll usually just toss them after I've looked at them for a while, maybe where I found them, maybe not.

I've found roost trees where feathers and droppings were very heavy. It would have taken a garbage bag and more effort that I'd want to put out to remove all the sign.

I hunt both public and private ground now. The public ground is pretty well known by the folks who hunt it and many know it much better than I do. I've been hunting most of the same private ground for 10-15 years and know it pretty well as do the other folks who hunt it. We try to stay out of the way of each other and so far, that's worked pretty well.

In Illinois, we have 5 spring seasons that last about 1 week each. It's a lottery here and you have to specify county and season when you apply. I always try to hunt the first season(s) and most of the folks who hunt the same private ground that I hunt in Illinois, hunt 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th because it works better for them. That helps keep it from getting too crowded, so I don't worry about sign.

I also hunt private and some public in other states, when I can, and that's a whole different ballgame for me.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » November 27th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Wow, dude, you've got to be pretty obsessed with the disease to try to eliminate all the indicators that a turkey might be around on whatever patch of ground you might be hunting on!  Do you have any idea how many tracks/droppings/feathers a flock of turkeys will leave behind on a daily basis?!  Man, I thought I had this affliction pretty bad, but you REALLY need to go see somebody about that! (LOL)
Jim

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 27th, 2008, 11:54 pm

oh yeah, i pick up nearly every feather that i find . i think  they make FINE decorative additions to my hillside sportin' room , truck dashboard . i have left them undisturbed many times if they are lying in a 2 track on public land just to see if someone else will pick it up, which gives me an idea if anyone is actully hunting that specific area. but i can't recall ever just casting a casual glance at one and going on. i always stop and look at them,whether i intend to pick it up or not.it always causes me to reflect on the fact that we haven't always had the turkeys and how by good management practices they have spread throughout the country. every feather is sign that a truly WILD eastern passed by this spot.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » November 28th, 2008, 3:26 am

I attempt to eliminate any turkey sign that I encounter on both public and private land.  Turkey sign insures that you will have company or perhaps return to hunt a dead turkey.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

CSHall

Postby CSHall » November 29th, 2008, 12:35 pm

I'm with silvestris on this. I take every feather I find and destroy all other sign I find. I will even move leaves back into a scratching. I do it for the same reasons. Besides, why stop a firmly established turkey hunting tradition?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 30th, 2008, 4:14 am

You fellers evidently ain't got many birds where you hunt. if you did that in ADAMS CO. OHIO you all wouldn't get any hunting done.
oldschoolturkeytactics ,enjoying life , telling sweet lies to educated gobblers.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » November 30th, 2008, 7:32 am

In my part of the country, International Paper and the U.S. Forest Service have been in an apparent contest for the last thirty years to see who can exterminate the Wild Turkey first on their properties.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Next

Return to Strategies