IF...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkyklr

IF...

Postby trkyklr » November 19th, 2008, 1:56 am

i know IF is the biggest word in the world that only has 2 letters in it.but IF you could pick any destination to go hunt a turkey where would it be?
me i would probably say florida, so i could hunt an ossy ,i would pick that one because you are so limited to the places that you can hunt a true ossy if not an ossy i would pursue a goulds

NEbeardhunter21

RE: IF...

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 19th, 2008, 3:32 am

I would have to agree for the simple fact, like you said, they are so limited. I also don't get the chance to go to FL very often. I have relatives on the east coast so I go there from time to time.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 19th, 2008, 5:20 am

Hey Ken,

Great question. If I could pick any destination to hunt it would really be more about who I'd be hunting with than where I hunted. That's become a lot more important to me over the last few years than anything else. I still enjoy seeing different places and hunting different birds but it's really the total experience, including hunting with folks I enjoy being around, that makes a great hunt.

If I could pick the place, it would probably be on Buttermilk Hill by the Mississippi River or Johnson Creek in Southern Illinois with friends past and present for one more hunt. I have so many great memories of hunting those areas.

If...what a great question.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 19th, 2008, 1:13 pm

evenin' fellers
i agree very good question. i guess i'll have to give that some THOUGHT.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 19th, 2008, 1:54 pm

well i agree that it would be an awesome thing to go to florida and hunt one of those longlegged longbeards. have to say i'm more inclined to be like Clark .IF would be on familiar ground with fine company. i have always enjoyed seeing new country, but when it's with FINE company it's always more memorable.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » November 21st, 2008, 12:54 am

if i could go any where it we be to colorado to hunt merriam's. i think they are one of the prettist turkeys there are and i would take my wife so that i would have great company she dose'nt hunt but she's a good with a camera so we would have a reacord of wonderful times spent together. 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 21st, 2008, 12:59 pm

tomorrow morning it's supposed to be around 15 degrees with 5 - 7 mph winds,,,,,,,IF ?     right now i'd be tickled and as giddy as a school girl if i could go turkey hunting in the morning,,,,,,ain't gonna happen . youth deer gun season this weekend.
what do turkeys think of blaze orange?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 21st, 2008, 1:17 pm

Hey Mark,

It was 20 here this morning with a pretty stiff breeze for the opening day of deer season, so I know what you mean.

It seems like I see turkeys many years when I'm deer hunting with blaze orange cap & vest. Most times, they don't seem to pay much attention to me, unless I pay too much attention to them. It really used to surprise me that they did not spook but they reacted the same way they do when I see them on the property during the off season.

There have been a lot of studies over the years about the effects of blaze orange on wild turkeys and on the safety of turkey hunters who use it.

As you are probably aware, at least one state did away with its blaze orange requirement when turkey hunting and although some attempted to institute it here in Illinois, it did not happen.

Rob Keck and others with the NWTF came to Illinois to testify in opposition to that at hearings a few years ago. They had statistics that backed-up their position. It seems that blaze orange can be taken, by some hunters, for the red of a gobbler's head and make it more, not less dangerous.

Long answer to your short question, sorry.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 23rd, 2008, 4:09 am

Thanks Clark
To be frank, i was foolin around when i asked that question. i just took it for granted that they would naturally shy away. i've never been around turkeys while wearing blaze orange. and i never had any idea there have been studies done . no , your reply was not too long to suit me. i appreciate the information. OH yes ,,,I FROZE OUT AGAIN THIS MORNIN'.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » November 24th, 2008, 5:27 am

I'd probably just stay right here in Mississippi.....there are several places here I would like to jump the fence and hunt....[:D]....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion