USMC Teaches Hunting Skills

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
allaboutshooting

USMC Teaches Hunting Skills

Postby allaboutshooting » November 15th, 2008, 10:44 am

In the last couple of weeks I've read quite a bit about a program that General James Mattis has introduced to the U.S. Marine Corps. It's a 2 week training program called "Combat Hunter". It utilizes police officers and big game hunters to teach infantry personnel hunting skills that they can use in combat situations.

You can read more about this in the December issue of "American Hunter Magazine" or if you're a member of the NSSF, you've probably already received information about it.

I think it's important that we are all aware that the skills that we routinely use as hunters area also quite valuable to our troops who are defending our freedon.

It's just one more reason that we can be proud to be hunters and shooters.

Thanks,
Clarkk
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

grunt_doc

RE: USMC Teaches Hunting Skills

Postby grunt_doc » November 18th, 2008, 6:41 am

It goes both ways, too.  I find myself using lots of the training that I got in the military out in the woods.  cover/concealment theories, terrain reading, topo-map reading, how/what gear you really need, ect.  The more options you have exposure to, the better your woodsman skills will become.  I think it's a great idea.  Not everyone who joins the military is a hunter/outdoorsman. 
Marlinspike Lanyards

allaboutshooting

RE: USMC Teaches Hunting Skills

Postby allaboutshooting » November 18th, 2008, 8:37 am

Hey Matthew,

We have an increasing number of folks who enter the service who do not have an outdoor background and may have no experience with any type of firearm. Many have never gone hunting.

Utilizing the training that has worked so well over the years and supplementing that with the skills leaned by police agencies and hunters just gives "the good guys" one more advantage.

This is especially good since it helps our guys with skills they can use now and in the future. I understand it's some of the most sought after training.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Strategies