Books

What's in your collection? What's it worth?
rbewilson

Books

Postby rbewilson » July 12th, 2008, 10:08 am

what kind of books do you all read on turkey hunting? As for myself I have readed both that Cuz books,also I 've just  order the Tenth legion.

trkyklr

RE: Books

Postby trkyklr » July 14th, 2008, 4:10 am

i also enjoy reading 10th legion is a good one i have read about 7/8 books cant think of all the names but here are a few turk hunters digest re revised by dwain bland , turk tactics of the pros by richard combs , innovativeturkey hunting by jim cascada , successful turkey hunting by md johnson , hunting the wild turkey by tom turpin                         <glad to see that a few people survived the season to chat a little haven't seen much activity here lately>

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 14th, 2008, 2:04 pm

I would really recommend "Turkey Hunter's Tool Kit: Shooting Savvy" by Jay Langston. It was written several years ago but the information in it is still very useful. You'll also get some history of shotshells, shotguns and read about some of the real pioneers in the modern turkey hunting age.

I consider it a vital part of my reference library.

I understand that you can order that book directly from Jay. It would be money well spent!

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. There are also several excellent books available here from the folks at T&TH.
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

MAK

Postby MAK » July 15th, 2008, 8:30 am

Tom Kelly's book's are very entertaining and are among my favorites.  

Other Authors I've enjoyed are: Earl Groves, Gary Blair, Ken Morgan, and Wayne Bailey.

Tom Feagley wrote an interesting book regarding PA Turkey hunting.

If someone can convince Denny Gulvas to write one, that could be a great read.
MAK

Morgan

Postby Morgan » August 20th, 2008, 12:08 pm

I read these every winter to get ready for spring....Old Pro Turkey Hunter....East of the Slash....One Man Game...Greatest Moments of My Life....Some Turkey Scratchings....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

silvestris

Postby silvestris » November 14th, 2008, 3:57 am

"The Wild Turkey and Its Hunting" by Edward A. McIlhenny.

Free on Google Books.

http://books.google.com/books?id=CASbSe ... ey#PPP1,M1

Perhaps the greatest book ever written on the wild turkey, and probably the first book written as well.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » November 26th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Some excellent books mentioned here.

To help me undestand what a turkey is doing & why he/she is doing it, I always try to think like a turkey. One book that helped me do that is "Illumination in the Flatwoods" by Joe Hutto.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » January 28th, 2009, 2:39 pm

ORIGINAL: Treerooster

Some excellent books mentioned here.

To help me undestand what a turkey is doing & why he/she is doing it, I always try to think like a turkey. One book that helped me do that is "Illumination in the Flatwoods" by Joe Hutto.

I may have to get that one
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » January 29th, 2009, 6:54 am

I just finished reading "hunting Pressured Turkeys" by Brian Lovett. It was a great book. It has been  a nice way to get away from the sub-zero temps and 180" of snow so far in western NY! Well written and informative.

Postby Guest » January 30th, 2009, 6:23 am

Ray Eye's Practical Turkey Hunting Strategies is full of useful information. If you like to listening to hunting stories and like the nostalgia of days gone by I enjoyed Larry Dablemont's book The Greatest Wild Gobblers.....Lessons Learned From Old-Timers and Old Toms

Next

Return to Miscellaneous Turkey Collectibles