Windy day

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
yelp_wanted

Windy day

Postby yelp_wanted » April 1st, 2011, 4:25 am

Sorry to post this as I'm sure this topic has been covered many times, but I'm using my 3G in the turkey woods. We had a lot of rain this week. Today It's opening day and it's the first sunny day we've had all week. Anyway, I've heard a few shots this morning and a lot more hen action. Carried on a convo with a hen for 10 min. She finAlly mosied on after she couldn't find me.

Gobbles have been scarce and now a big wind has picked up. It's blowing N to S of me. I'm sitting about 100 yards from a small food plot. I haven't made any noise in about 30 min or so. What do i do with this wind. I can move down the hill a little farther, but I haven't heard a Tom in about an hour. Suggestions?

yelp_wanted
Posted from my iphone

retranger

RE: Windy day

Postby retranger » April 1st, 2011, 4:47 am

Dan don't know what kind of call you're using, may not be loud enough to reach the toms you heard earlier. If nothing is near you or in the food plot may be time to move and do a bit of running and gunning. Walk slowly and try calling every so often, but before you call be sure you have a setup near you that you can jump into. I have done this and got a response very close by, so you would need to get on a tree pronto. This is turkey hunting, sometimes you will win but mostly the turkeys do. Be patient. Good luck[;)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

yelp_wanted

Postby yelp_wanted » April 1st, 2011, 4:54 am

Cool, thanks. That's what I was doing when the hen came in on me. I literally dropped my stool at the base of a new tree and sat down when I heard "cluck, purr purr, cluck". It happened so fast I thought I spooked her, but she hung around a while. Thanks for the reassurance.

I'm using my loudest mouth call. I got a gobble but he sounded like he's all away across the property from me. Hopefully my ears aren't playing tricks on me.

Dan

retranger

Postby retranger » April 1st, 2011, 5:20 am

Dan when you first call don't be too loud, if one is close you'll blow him/it away. I have tried for ever but can't get mouth calls to work. I use my box (quaker boy grand ole master) to begin with and if I get one coming I set up and use my primo freak. I think the box call will carry farther than the mouth calls. I know my buddies here will use a box or good pot and peg to start.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 1st, 2011, 10:52 am

If it is windy enough to rock the low growing brush around I'd look for a holler or the downwind side of a ridge or woodline .

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 2nd, 2011, 5:59 am

I realize you were looking for advice yesterday, but Mark's correct...in extremely windy conditions the birds will retreat to low lying pastures, hollows, ravines and ditches to minimize the wind. This allows them to hear better and be more comfortable if they are wet. In a north wind as you had, the south side of a hill or ridge is also a good bet.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

yelp_wanted

Postby yelp_wanted » April 2nd, 2011, 1:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'm doing "on the job" training here and you guys are a major MAJOR help. The property I'm hunting has two large hills. At the top of one is a power line, it takes a long slope down to a bottom where a creek runs, then it goes back up the other side of the creek. This downhill to creek to back to the top covers a good 50 acre stretch. The hen that came in on me came up this hill to where I was hung out for a little while, and then walked back down the hill. I moved to a new location down the hill about 45 minutes after that. Didn't produce anything, but from ya'lls posts it seems like I did the correct thing.

I'm guessing the gobblers aren't getting hot and heavy yet, and I'm sure the weather we've had that last few days have played a part in that as well as some hunting pressure. I'm not hearing or seeing a lot of hen action, at least not from true hens. I saw the same hen this morning (Im assuming because I was in the same relative spot as yesterday) and she did the same thing. She flew down and headed straight to the middle of the property. I'm timid to try to get to the middle of the property, because it gets thick before you get to the open creek bottom, and I just don't think I can get in there without making a rucus. Gobbling this morning I only heard a few between 6:50 and 7:15 and then I didn't hear any more. The wind kicked in again and I didn't hear anything else.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 2nd, 2011, 3:55 pm

If the hen is headed into the middle of the property, that is where you need to be. Never mind the ruckus, do it early and they'll settle down or just give it time once your there. It's like fishing, if you aren't casting your lure where the fish are your only fishing not catching and occasionally you lose a lure, but it's worth it in the long run.

TRapper

Postby TRapper » April 2nd, 2011, 4:32 pm

on windy days i have killed a couple and generally go to a logging road on the top of a ridge where the sound usually sounds like it echo's down the timber,  those places are usually good places to call as your call will carry and the birds know those places better than you do and will usually go there first to inspect the situation.  when in sight,  you can call to them to close them in,  but be patient,  waiting a couple hours is not uncommon,  but don't move,  they can come in silent.
Joshua "TRapper" Jones
Dream Sportsman Trips at Dream Prices
http://trapperstravel.roviadreams.com/d ... /tripslist

retranger

Postby retranger » April 3rd, 2011, 3:11 am

I have to agree with eggshell, you need to follow the hen. Maybe you should try to do some scouting and find a easier way in. Do you hear gobblers in the area the hen is going? Don't be surprise if you go where the hen has been going ,,,,,that she now will go where you were. I had that happen a couple times. I had birds always going away from me in the same direction and when I went that way the next time they came right by where I had been set up. This was also on a power line. Don't give up and be patient!!!![;)][;)]

Next

Return to Strategies