How's the Deer hunting going?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
eddie234

RE: How's the Deer hunting going?

Postby eddie234 » November 7th, 2008, 6:41 pm

I have been out a few times and was lucky enough to get a nice sized spike on the 4th, already making some jerky.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » November 9th, 2008, 4:47 am

I saw a spike at first light @ 30 yards and a couple of Does later.  A 5 point moved across a roadbed on the same trail the does were on. Then, I saw a lot of nothing for a few hours.  I moved a quarter mile to a permanent stand and saw 6 more Does (all out of range) and a Gobbler with a 6 inch beard.

The guy hunting South of me at the edge of the cutover saw 3 bucks, including a small 8 point that was "legal" accorning to our Lease rules (they have to be 8 points or better and wider than their ears).  All the bucks were in range of his stand, but we are holding out for bigger, more mature deer to give the little guys a chane to grow.  He also saw 3 Gobblers  (the same one I saw, & a pair traveling together) coming out of a piece of woods that I usually Turkey hunt. The bigger of the pair had a 10-11 inch beard and the other was 7-8 inches.We will probably see more as the season goes on.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » November 9th, 2008, 5:48 am

Iv seen a total of 8 bucks two of them shoters ,I like the small ones to grow up and you cant kill tha big ones if you dont let themwalk...There running does here in Ohio and this week is RUT week so Ill hunt every chance that comes UP...zipperman

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » November 10th, 2008, 2:48 am

I took the BSA reddot off the 835 and put it on the 500 slugster for my son Conner, and we zeroed it in Sat. As far as shotguns go, its a real tackdriver at 100 yds. Tacks about the size of pot pies. I'm shooting a 50 cal. Winchester in line and its good to 200, at least thats as far as I've shot it at the range, so thats as far as I'll shoot it in the feild. Iwas fortunate in bow season and scored a nice 125+ heavy buck that dressed at 235 lbs. I've been hunting two particular bucks since one of them is about 170" and the other is close to 150". I got to within 30 yds. but light had faded so no oppurtunity. I"ve seen a lot of does since but not a single buck, and I got 2 sizable ares. WE have had some high winds for the last week and very warm weather the week before that,  so I'm hoping thats what has been keeping the bucks down. This morning was 27 would've been a good morning to be in the stand but I was there yesterday, so I thoughtn I would let it set for a couple days. The firearms opens on the 15th and maybe I'll let em all simmer till then, as I got a guest coming in for the opener as well as my son. Goota get back to the box calls, later!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                            L.K.LESLIE

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 14th, 2008, 1:30 pm

I'VE been out a few times. let a little non-typical walk. but startin' t'morrow i'm gonna be serious since there ain't no more turkey season for this red haired feller.              ventilate some venison

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » November 15th, 2008, 10:13 pm

I gotta get my 2 cents in. Fall turkey was a bust. Perhaps I should have taken the jenny which was 20 yards away clucking her head off instead of trying to coax the tom up thru the woods.
  Nov. 2nd, took a 10 pointer with the bow. Wasn't bad, only up in the climber for 40 min. when he came wandering by around 28 yrds.
  Nov 15th, NY state opener, got a 6 point at 6:57 am. 29 yards. Now to fill doe tags. Then the smokepole season.
  Need more freezer!!!

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » November 16th, 2008, 6:02 am

Tuesday eving I had a 6 pointer come in and i got a 10 yard shot with my zipper recurve,first trad. kill on a buck,snuffer broadhead got both lungs and he run 50 yards and i saw him fall in the cut corn,,man his body size was big 198 lbs dressed..good luck this week...zipperman http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f333/cochse/?action=view&current=DSC00457.jpg

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 16th, 2008, 6:20 am

hey zipperman
WAY TO GO. congratulations! there ain't nothin' like takin' a deer with a recurve and shootin' instinctive. look where you want the arrow to hit , watch it hit and watch it die humanely in just a few seconds.
good job feller.

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » November 16th, 2008, 11:39 am

Thanks  Mark Hay I posted the pic. thanks agin..zipperman

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » November 17th, 2008, 7:31 am

Nebraska rifle also opened on Nov. 15. This was my first deer hunt and was short but AMAZING. I got a 12 pointer by 8:15 a.m. One shot with a borrowed .270 at 150 yds. Unreal.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion