Winchester 101

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
m.gallopavo

Winchester 101

Postby m.gallopavo » March 12th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Clark,

I've got a Japanese Winchester model 101 o/u with Winchokes, and some old 3" Remington Premier Hevi-shot, 1 5/8 oz. #6. What do you think this combo would do with a couple of Undertaker chokes. I know there are better choke tubes, but I'll have to buy two and I already have one Undertaker.

allaboutshooting

Re: Winchester 101

Postby allaboutshooting » March 15th, 2012, 9:07 am

m.gallopavo wrote:Clark,

I've got a Japanese Winchester model 101 o/u with Winchokes, and some old 3" Remington Premier Hevi-shot, 1 5/8 oz. #6. What do you think this combo would do with a couple of Undertaker chokes. I know there are better choke tubes, but I'll have to buy two and I already have one Undertaker.

I apologize for my delay in getting back to you. We were out of town over the weekend and have been trying to catch up since then.

First of all, that's a great gun! I see a lot of those on the trap and sporting clays fields. Those guns normally pattern very well and those old Remington H.S. loads can shoot some killing patterns. They may not put the kinds of numbers on paper that we've become accustomed to seeing lately but they'll sure do the job for which they were intended.

I'd recommend that you shoot a couple of the shells at some "big paper" with those Undertaker chokes and see just how effective they are and at what range. I'd suspect that they'll do just fine but you may want to limit shots to some particular distance.

Again, great gun and I don't think I've ever seen one in the turkey woods.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

m.gallopavo

Postby m.gallopavo » March 15th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Thank you, Clark, for your reply. The Winchester 101 can be a good turkey gun. I've taken 3 gobblers with mine using old Federal Premium 3" 2 oz. #4 and two Winchoke full tubes, but kind of retired it when I got my it Super X2, a Briley .675 turkey choke and #6 Winchester Xtended range shells. Anyway, I find myself wanting to hunt the 101 again with some Hevi-Shot and better chokes. Since the two barrels will double the choke tube cost, I thought I'd try the Undertakers first, or maybe two Truglo SSXs. Whichever it is, I'll take your advice and pattern before hitting the woods. Thanks again.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 15th, 2012, 8:34 pm

m.gallopavo wrote:Thank you, Clark, for your reply. The Winchester 101 can be a good turkey gun. I've taken 3 gobblers with mine using old Federal Premium 3" 2 oz. #4 and two Winchoke full tubes, but kind of retired it when I got my it Super X2, a Briley .675 turkey choke and #6 Winchester Xtended range shells. Anyway, I find myself wanting to hunt the 101 again with some Hevi-Shot and better chokes. Since the two barrels will double the choke tube cost, I thought I'd try the Undertakers first, or maybe two Truglo SSXs. Whichever it is, I'll take your advice and pattern before hitting the woods. Thanks again.

You may also want to consider the SSX on the bottom barrel and a factory full on the top to give you some versatility. The SSX/Undertaker could also work well.

Thanks,
Clark

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 15th, 2012, 9:06 pm

Hi Clark I have a question for you. Shooting the Browning Gold with the Full Strut Browning choke I think that is .640. Is there a problem with shooting the 2 1/4 magnum blends through that choke? It patterns fine dont want any gun damage though
Thanks
Jon.
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 16th, 2012, 11:15 am

Turkeybuster wrote:Hi Clark I have a question for you. Shooting the Browning Gold with the Full Strut Browning choke I think that is .640. Is there a problem with shooting the 2 1/4 magnum blends through that choke? It patterns fine dont want any gun damage though
Thanks
Jon.

Hey Jon,

There would not be a problem with damage. As long as your patterns are good, I'd go for it.

Thanks,
Clark

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 16th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Thanks Clark it patterns real well I think we discussed that last year when I got the 24" bbl. in fact it opens the pattern a little more than the Bansner choke. Not a bad thing as tight as that shoots but still holds a good core pattern and very even overall. Thanks for your info. it is always appreciated and good luck to you and Doris in the upcoming season.

Jon
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 17th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Turkeybuster wrote:Thanks Clark it patterns real well I think we discussed that last year when I got the 24" bbl. in fact it opens the pattern a little more than the Bansner choke. Not a bad thing as tight as that shoots but still holds a good core pattern and very even overall. Thanks for your info. it is always appreciated and good luck to you and Doris in the upcoming season.

Jon

Hey Jon,

You're welcome.

All my best to you as well.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting