Roosting Turkeys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
gooseberry

Roosting Turkeys

Postby gooseberry » March 1st, 2012, 9:27 am

I imagine this question is repetitive and I did do a search, but I didn't find what I was looking for. How do you go about roosting turkeys in the evening before hunting the next day? I read one guy called and they responded. Is that the right thing to do.

Bamatrkyhntr

Re: Roosting Turkeys

Postby Bamatrkyhntr » March 1st, 2012, 9:49 am

About the only calling I will do is some type of locator such as an owl or especially a coyote howler,but mostly I just listen for turkey sounds.

retranger

Postby retranger » March 1st, 2012, 10:17 am

Any roosting I have done I use a owl call, but have found tht they do not always answer. I watched birds fly up to roost and owl called only to have a bird answer in a different location. Any locator call will work.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » March 1st, 2012, 11:29 am

Bamatrkyhntr wrote:About the only calling I will do is some type of locator such as an owl or especially a coyote howler,but mostly I just listen for turkey sounds.

Roosting isn't essential for me because I hunt the same property every year and the birds roost in the same general area every year...with that said I still can't resist going and listening for birds and when I do, this is pretty much exactly what I do.

Where I hunt I have great access to a spot where I can go and listen for roosting birds without having to worry about spooking them. Birds around here aren't as vocal when flying up to the roost, but if you listen closely you will probably hear some hens cackling and making a little racket as they prepare to go to the limb. An owl call is a good one to start off with, and if I don't get a response I'll go on to a howler. Like I said, though, there's really no reason for me to roost a bird but I just can't resist it :)
Last edited by kenturkey89 on March 1st, 2012, 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 1st, 2012, 5:37 pm

i honestly hardly ever roost birds i just visualy scout birds and remember where they were at what time. and i rely heavily on M.R.I from farmers and landowners. but when i do roost i just listen for birds fly up or use a gobble call
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

camo_junkie0611

Postby camo_junkie0611 » March 2nd, 2012, 4:24 pm

kenturkey89 wrote:Roosting isn't essential for me because I hunt the same property every year and the birds roost in the same general area every year...with that said I still can't resist going and listening for birds and when I do, this is pretty much exactly what I do.

I gotta agree with you kenturkey89...I also hunt the same properties every year and the birds typically roost in pretty much the same areas year after year. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that there are only a few suitable or preferable nesting areas for the hens on each property, respectively, and it seems that the hens tend to hang close to these areas and subsequently never roost too far away. It has taken me some trial and error but I have found the general areas in which they habitually go to roost and I even have it down to exact trees that they seem to like. Of course when I started the process of homing in on these roosting sites I did a lot of owl hooting, coyote calling, even an air horn a time or two :roll: to get a bearing on the roost sites. They gobblers didn't always respond but I got enough "hits" to begin building a mental picture of their preferred roost sites. It also didn't hurt that over the years I have on several occasions literally heard and/or witnessed the birds flying up to roost and I made note of the areas and was able to mark them on my gps.

"Roosting" turkeys is less an actual ACT than it is a PROCESS. And as I have learned--much to my dismay--in my 12 or so yrs of chasing birds...ROOSTED AIN'T ROASTED!!!

Good luck to y'all!
Good luck to y'all!
Camo_junkie
---------------------------------------------

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 3rd, 2012, 8:36 am

camo_junkie0611 wrote:
kenturkey89 wrote:"Roosting" turkeys is less an actual ACT than it is a PROCESS. And as I have learned--much to my dismay--in my 12 or so yrs of chasing birds...ROOSTED AIN'T ROASTED!!!

Good luck to y'all!

Ya got that right!!!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » March 10th, 2012, 8:32 pm

if you know where birds are hanging in the evening and can watch them from a distance without bumping them then you can see exactly where they are.

if you use a locator call such as an owl, crow, or coyote call in the late evening...a bird will respond where he is roosted, though they are not as responsive as they are in the morning.

also, you can try getting in a good place to listen for birds flying up where you have an idea of where they are roosting. wing beats, clucking and cackling are good signs even if you dont hear that gobbler...he is there, or close
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » March 11th, 2012, 10:37 am

If you’re able to watch the birds fly up; try to pay attention to where the hens fly to roost, and where the gobblers fly up. If they fly up far enough apart, you may able to sneak in early the next morning and set up between them.
Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » March 11th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Limb Hanger wrote:If you’re able to watch the birds fly up; try to pay attention to where the hens fly to roost, and where the gobblers fly up. If they fly up far enough apart, you may able to sneak in early the next morning and set up between them.

best way to do it. then you're in the hot seat
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Next

Return to Strategies