Favorite methods of field dressing?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
GearJammer

Favorite methods of field dressing?

Postby GearJammer » August 6th, 2008, 12:59 pm

I apologize if this has already been covered but I was wondering what is the most common way that you dress a turkey? Does anybody actually boil a turkey with cooking oil before plucking or do you skin it in the field?
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

grunt_doc

RE: Favorite methods of field dressing?

Postby grunt_doc » August 7th, 2008, 3:50 am

The only thing I have ever field dressed are deer.  Everything else comes back home whole (turkey, ducks, geese, rabbit, ect) where I can use a table and cutting board.  I'm less likely to screw things up If I'm using a firm flat surface like a table in the garage.  We butcher all our deer ourselves in that garage too, so everything we need is right there.  having a butcher for a brother doesn't hurt either...I suggest getting one.

Doc

JPH

Postby JPH » August 7th, 2008, 4:52 am

My routine is the same, in the field or at home.

I begin by carefully removing the beard and tail.

Next, I lay the bird on it's back and make a small cut at the base of the breast. Using my fingers, I pull the skin back and to the sides (cutting only as needed) until the whole breast is exposed. Then I make cuts on either side of the breast bone and carefully fillet each half-breast.

Next, I will press the legs down and to the sides until I feel them "pop" out of the socket. I will cut the skin away from the legs and thighs before removing them. I will then remove the lower legs.

Finally, I will turn the bird on it's belly and peel the skin off the back, exposing the back meat around the base of the wings. I will cut this out without actually removing the wings.

The carcass and guts stay together and are discarded. The meat is cleaned and bagged up with breasts going in one bag and legs/back going in another.

Yelp softly

Postby Yelp softly » October 22nd, 2008, 6:12 pm

Don't use cooking oil.  That will make a huge mess.  Boiling water will do just fine.  I couldn't imagine trying to grip those oil covered feathers.  Also, the bird only needs to be plucked if you plan to roast it whole or smoke it.  Leaving the skin on will help it retain moisture.  If you plan to slice the breast and fry it, there is no need to pluck the bird.  Filet out the breast as described above and save the legs and thighs too.  Cook the legs and thighs in a crock pot, they are tough as boot leather.  After that, pull the meat off the bone and make a soup or stew with it.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion