multi bearded birds revisited

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkyklr

multi bearded birds revisited

Postby trkyklr » October 22nd, 2008, 4:09 am

i was talking to a guy about this subject back last winter when i saw a hen on his property with about a 7" beard (i also took one on the property with a 2" beard)& he said that a bearded hen would/could make multi bearded gobblers.im wondering if that is true,anyone have a clue? i took a 4 bearded bird on his place this past spring so that kind of backs that theory up whats yalls thoughts on the subject

wordbird

RE: multi bearded birds revisited

Postby wordbird » October 22nd, 2008, 11:23 am

I've heard nothing before to that effect but now that you mention it, I killed a few mutibearded birds on a lease I used to be in in Ala. and it was common to see bearded hens on that lease. There might be something to it.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

silvestris

Postby silvestris » October 22nd, 2008, 11:51 am

I don't think bearded hens have anything to do with multi-bearded gobblers.  I do believe that there are flocks that are prone to multi-bearded gobblers.  I have killed and seen multi-bearded gobblers with great frequency in certain areas.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » October 23rd, 2008, 1:57 am

[
so what do you think causes this deformity?  genes passed down thru the generations? the guy that i was talking to about it said that a hen with a beard possesess more male hormones than a normal hen & when she lays eggs be it future hens or gobblers that they also produce more male hormones in return her hen poults can have beards & her male poults could have multiple beards   

alright is a multi bearded bird born with the multiple beards or does he grow them thru life?

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion