damp calls

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkeyballer

damp calls

Postby turkeyballer » October 13th, 2008, 1:59 pm

When my slate and glass calls get damp the wood strikers stop working, well.
What's the best choice of stickers to help with this?

trkyklr

RE: damp calls

Postby trkyklr » October 14th, 2008, 1:41 am

try carbon or aluminum both will work in wet conditions.your calls will need to be glass or aluminum not slate when its wet outside or take along a gallon size ziploc bag & put your calls in it if it starts to rain so that they will stay dry    (oh yeah welcome to the forum)

wordbird

Postby wordbird » October 21st, 2008, 2:49 am

Actually I have had great results from using a wet slate when using a graphite striker. I used to think slate was useless when wet until I tried this.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » October 21st, 2008, 3:41 am

Has anyone ever used a lighter to dry them off in the field?  I can't remember where I heard it from, but it's not something i'm going to run out and try unless it's true.
Marlinspike Lanyards

MAK

Postby MAK » October 21st, 2008, 5:56 am

Not tried any quick dry methods, but have set them on top of a TV to slowly dry out.

I like a glass or plastic striker on my glass friction, and keep the box call in a plastic bag. Ever try the suction in of a wingbone as a striker? makes good clucks and purrs wet or dry.

Someone has to give me a lesson on carbon and graphite - all I get is sgweaks!

wordbird

Postby wordbird » October 22nd, 2008, 11:28 am

ORIGINAL: MAK

Someone has to give me a lesson on carbon and graphite - all I get is sgweaks!

You'll have to sand them and possibly adjust you angle and pressure a little. I get good results out of them.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » October 22nd, 2008, 11:56 am

Your slate needs to dry and I don't know or hanen't tried any of the fast dry methods. It usually takes a few days in a dry room. Remember that if you use heat your wood, if the pot is made of wood, will move and the sound will change and can even possibly break the seal of glue or epoxy used to cement the slate and sounding board in. Slow dry is best. as far as strikers go even a carbon might wick up a little moisture if touched to a wet service, and for sure wood will. Keep'em dry like yur powder pilgrim.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                             L.K.LESLIE

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » October 22nd, 2008, 11:58 am

Oh, by the way,SEMPRE FI DOC!

GOOD LUCK,GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                        L.K.LESLIE

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 22nd, 2008, 2:14 pm

evenin' y'all
   i have tried that wingbone on the slate with good success. i have a slate i built from a box turtle shell and an old slate shingle. HEY HOOSIER, from what you said , now i know why my glue breaks as i will leave it on the dash of the truck during season.but the wingbone does work on both my homemade and a primos freak,,,,,,the freak will sweetly produce all the hen talk. by the way i pick up every box turtle helmet i find . it's a wonder there are any of those cold blooded beauties left with the coyotes eating them up. every spring i find several, most of which have lost their outer skin.   good luck ,, good hunting .   ''ostt''
    almost forgot to mention the drying ,,,,i have successfully dried the box turtle slate in the field with a BIC lighter, as well as the tip of a rosewood striker. i didn't allow the flame to touch the slate nor the tip of the striker. hope this will be of help or cause you to think of something new .
LETS HUNT!!!                           ''OSTT''
    OH YES a match or ZIPPO type lighter will likely soot up the surface of what is to be dried.

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » October 26th, 2008, 4:04 am

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter

Oh, by the way,SEMPRE FI DOC!

OO-RAH!

Marlinspike Lanyards

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion