hoosier hunter-1, hoosier turkeys-0

hoosierhunter

hoosier hunter-1, hoosier turkeys-0

Postby hoosierhunter » October 18th, 2008, 8:28 am

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there, I'm as happy as can be. Well my Indiana Fall turkey season is over, and it happened on public land at the Green- Sullivan State Forest in Sullivan Co. in southern In. on opening day at 7:59 a.m. Oct. 15. This was my first bird on film and it was filmed in its entirety. With me was senior prostaffer Dale Smith and we were sitting in a blind ready to go at 6:00 am, with a camera borrowed from senior prostaffer Jim Roe who heads up the filming staff. This hunt went off so just like a spring hunt, with the exception that I took a hen, with the birds coming to calls at fly down and seeing a lone hen decoy, which I think relaxed them immediatley. As they began feeding towards us I was discussing with Dale wether or not he was going to take a hen, as he was to be the primary hunter that morning. Neither of us had ever shot a hen with a shotgun before and I must admit, that allthough it is legal, I felt a little odd for a moment. That moment passed quickly though. I asked Dale, " Do you wanna shoot a Tom or do you wanna shoot a turkey?" He asked what do you wanna do, and I replied that I just wanted to get a kill shot for our upcoming CD, as I have never tried to film a hunt  with anything in mind but my own personal enjoyment and a little personal camera. We decided that I would take one of the hens, so he took over the camera operation, we chose the largest hen of course, and at 50yds. I leveled the 835 Mossberg with a BSA red dot scope, 20" barrel and a .670 Kicks Gobblin Thunder choke tube, backed with 3" Winchester #6 shot supremes, and when Dale said he had her in frame I took the shot. In the tinkling of an eye, her feet went from the firmness of Terra-firma to pointing at the vastness of the sky above. We had done it! Our first professionally filmed turkey hunt! We were both excited. After filming the hero shot we decided to go after Dales bird and 60 minutes later we had found them again, although this time they were not so eager to come to any kee-kees or soft yelps, so as they were headed away from us we backed off, and began a 2000 yd. move to get ahead of them and in a moment we were there and so were the hens. there was a slight rise in the terrain in front of us and Dale dropped to his knees and began crawling foward to gain a position. As I remained to his rear at about 30 yds. to film the hunt, I could tell from his body language that he had spotted the birds and in a few seconds I seen the blue head of a hen Peaking over the burm in front of Dale and she spotted me filming and putted softly, just once, She moved off to the left and I wondered why he had'nt put the boom on her. Shortly, I found out, as 4 more blue heads popped up to see what was so interestig on the other side of the small little pile of dirt. A few seconds later Dale had his hen on the groung and we had successfully filmed our second pro hunt and our Indiana Fall hunt was over, with the exception of guiding and filming others inthere endeavor to hunt the ever elusive Eastern Wild Turkey.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                                                L.K.LESLIE     

mark hay

RE: hoosier hunter-1, hoosier turkeys-0

Postby mark hay » October 18th, 2008, 3:27 pm

GOOD JOB ! HIGH FIVE!!  WAY TO GO !!!    the ice is broken.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » October 20th, 2008, 9:15 am

CONGRATS hoos !!! trophy management on the birds, now that long beard & those jakes that were in the bunch can grow up to be  limbhangers.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » October 20th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Way to go!  I am going to try it next year.  I am at the end of an addition and my son's band season.

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to Indiana