Decision Time: The Debate at Fool's Hollow

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: The Debate at Fool's Hollow

Postby Brian Lovett » March 7th, 2012, 1:19 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

The Debate at Fool's Hollow

Have you ever been desperate for attention from a turkey? Sure you have. Like me, you’ve probably glassed wide pastures until your eyes ached and your binoculars felt like an anvil. You’ve likely sat stock still at a dead setup, certain that you’re hearing faint drumming from an unseen — and ultimately imagined — strutter. And you’ve no doubt hit a call and then listened in vain for the tail end of a gobble borne on a spring wind.

That’s where we were at one gorgeous late-May day in Minnesota. Two buddies and I had, in typical fashion, whiffed on our roost hunt and then failed to raise a bird later in the morning. After a quick lunch, we were intent on making a death trek around a huge hollow that always held turkeys. Surely we’d strike one there.

And only 200 yards into our climb, we did. Trouble was, we couldn’t agree on where the bird was. At the gobble, one friend and I had pointed down into the hollow. Our other buddy, who knew the property best, had pointed in the opposite direction, up toward the peak of the ridge.

The solution was simple. We’d get the bird to gobble again, which would let us course it correctly. And if you’ve turkey hunted for long, you already know that the turkey never gobbled again.

Hmm. We thought about setting up and waiting for the gobbler to make the next move. That would be the safe play. But if two of us thought the bird was below us, wouldn’t it make sense to ease toward the valley bottom and set up there?

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get 66 minutes of expert calling instruction!

dewey

Re: Decision Time: The Debate at Fool's Hollow

Postby dewey » March 7th, 2012, 2:14 pm

If two of you think it comes from one direction and the other guy thinks the other direction why not just split up and find out who is right? He who comes back with the gobbler has right to "I told you so"

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 7th, 2012, 3:46 pm

dewey wrote:If two of you think it comes from one direction and the other guy thinks the other direction why not just split up and find out who is right? He who comes back with the gobbler has right to "I told you so"

Dewey

^^That's how I'd play it too...especially if each hunter knew the property. The more territory you cover, the better your odds are, it seems to me...as long as safe distances are maintained between guns.

If only one hunter knows the property, I'd probably be more inclined to follow his/ her lead because nobody should know the land better.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » March 7th, 2012, 4:22 pm

An excellent question, Dewey. The fellow who thought it came from the ridge — also the guy who knew the land best — didn't have a tag during that season.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » March 8th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Interesting ...two thinking they heard in one direction would normally win out but because I'm assuming the local really knows his property and gest extra credibility...throws some uncertainlty into the mix...

Because of this...I'd likely excercise some patience here versus a quick commitment that might be 50-50 chance of being right

I'd park it right where I was...wait a few minutes...and try and shock him into gobbling again...or depending on distances..set up and do the sequence calling

Or move up a bit and try to get him to gobble....to drop all the way down into the draw unsure..might be a question mark..

That said..considering who was one of the two that thought the gobble came from down the hollow..gets credibility points as well...
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

dewey

Postby dewey » March 9th, 2012, 4:54 pm

Brian Lovett wrote:An excellent question, Dewey. The fellow who thought it came from the ridge — also the guy who knew the land best — didn't have a tag during that season.

Ahh that makes sense now. Nothing worse than being right and not having a tag in your pocket while your buddies are in the opposite direction with the tags.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

GR8CALLS

Postby GR8CALLS » March 18th, 2012, 10:15 pm

I've been in this position before. Hunting land you are unfamiliar w/ is difficult at best. Splitting the tag holders is an option......one going w/ the fellow who was familiar w/ the property and the other staying back in case the bird is actually below. Another option, would be to take some time and learn the property and come back the next day, better prepared.

Bill
"The True Measure of a Man, Will Be Found in His Words and Deeds"

Return to Decision Time