Hevi Shot Magnum Blend- Who shoots it & what do you think??

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Cut N Run

Hevi Shot Magnum Blend- Who shoots it & what do you think??

Postby Cut N Run » March 7th, 2012, 1:09 pm

I decided to give the Hevi Shot Magnum Blend a try and see if it performs well out of my gun. I have one friend who loves the stuff and will continue to hunt with it because it just performs well. I have another friend who is old school, only shoots plated lead shot, and refuses to use Hevi shot, even though it produces a better pattern at greater distance out of his turkey gun. He says he kills plenty of turkeys without having to think about how much money he spends with each shot. Whatever....I appreciate his frugality, but I intend to make each shot as lethal as possible anytime I'm hunting. Personally, I'm only going to take very few shots at turkeys each Spring and I want top performance each time I pull the trigger. I'll spend more on a tank full of gas to drive back & forth where I hunt than I'll spend on enough Hevi Shot to hunt for 3 of four years. Just Sayin'.

How about you? What do you shoot & why? Does the Hevi Shot Mag Blend perform as advertized for you?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

bucko

Re: Hevi Shot Magnum Blend- Who shoots it & what do you thin

Postby bucko » March 8th, 2012, 8:35 am

Coupled with a Hevi-shot choke tube, the Mag Blend 3" throws an incredible pattern from my Maxus.

It kicks like a mule but I don't mind if I get those kind of patterns.

The Hevi-13 3 1/2 #5 patterns the best out of my SBE II.

WildTurkey101

Postby WildTurkey101 » March 9th, 2012, 1:03 am

Love it in my 870 SPS with an Indian Creek choke

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 9th, 2012, 10:35 pm

I shot it in my Super x 2 with a .665 Bansner choke it was a 3.5 shell. 24" bbl. based on a 10" circle.
40 yds. 276 hits. 50 yds. 240 hits 60 yds 125 hits. 30 and 20 yds. probsly 6" to 7" pattern.
It is awesome stuff but I don't think it has the penetration of the Winchester Xtended Range no. 6# shot. at longer range. I will stick with the Winchester's.

Jon
Turkeybuster

timberjack86

Postby timberjack86 » March 10th, 2012, 4:47 pm

I love magnum blends! Awesome patterns out to 50 yards with my mossberg 835 and hunters specialties undertaker choke! :D

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 11th, 2012, 9:33 am

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't count the pellets in the circle, but I got an even pattern from what I shot.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 15th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Turkeybuster wrote:I shot it in my Super x 2 with a .665 Bansner choke it was a 3.5 shell. 24" bbl. based on a 10" circle.
40 yds. 276 hits. 50 yds. 240 hits 60 yds 125 hits. 30 and 20 yds. probsly 6" to 7" pattern.
It is awesome stuff but I don't think it has the penetration of the Winchester Xtended Range no. 6# shot. at longer range. I will stick with the Winchester's.

Jon

Are u shootin' a 12 gauge and what length shell?
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 15th, 2012, 8:38 pm

I've found it to be a very good shell but it does have a lot of recoil. I can get back on target much more quickly with the standard load if I need a second shot for any reason however. I like the 3" shells with 2 oz. of #6 shot. They shoot exceptionally well in all of my guns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 15th, 2012, 8:56 pm

onpoint wrote:
Turkeybuster wrote:I shot it in my Super x 2 with a .665 Bansner choke it was a 3.5 shell. 24" bbl. based on a 10" circle.

Jon

Are u shootin' a 12 gauge and what length shell?

Yes a 12 ga. with a three and a half inch shell hope that helps.

Jon
Turkeybuster

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 18th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Tried them in a 20 gauge Beretta with heavy 13
coke tube with poor results. Heavy shot 13 in #7's did great
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Next

Return to Shooting