Back Tag

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grunt_doc

Back Tag

Postby grunt_doc » September 23rd, 2008, 5:26 am

I don't know what other states req's are, but in NY you have to wear a back tag when hunting.  I learned the hard way that you should tape the opening shut or secure it somehow.  Last weekend, I was goose hunting/turkey scouting...fail!...and my license, back tag, duck stamp, and 2 doe permits somehow slipped out.  I didn't notice untill I was packing up to leave (after stomping around though all kinds of swamp / mud/ thorns/ ect).  I had to retrace my steps to find them.  It turnned out that they fell out in the 1st field I was in.  I found them after stomping thorugh all that crap again!  While I was thrashing around looking for everything, I busted a goose hanging out in beaver pond.  Could have nailled him, but since I didn't have all my papers, I did the right thing and locked the gun up in the car to go look.  [:@][:@][:@]. 

lesson learned!  make sure your license is safe!  stupid geese.
Marlinspike Lanyards

mark hay

RE: Back Tag

Postby mark hay » September 23rd, 2008, 2:56 pm

one of the happiest days as an ohio hunter was when they went from back tags to carry in the wallet . GLAD YOU FOUND 'EM.

Cut N Run

RE: Back Tag

Postby Cut N Run » September 27th, 2008, 5:34 pm

If you have to wear a back tag, do they still stop you and read the fine print?  Or do they just check to see that it is there and go on to the next hunter?

Our license is carried in a wallet.  I've never had experience with a back tag before.

Jim

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion