Locator call in fall !!!

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
olesmoky12

RE: Locator call in fall !!!

Postby olesmoky12 » June 9th, 2008, 6:34 pm

I'll be hunting in Ohio during the fall season and I do plan on taking advantage of being able to take either sex. I will be trying to get my first fall gobbler but my fiance is looking to take her first along with my two oldest daughters. Last fall while deer hunting during the Ohio gun season I had a large flock come into the old pasture I was hunting everyday and to my suprise three of the hens had beards that was six inches or longer. I have seen hens with beards before but not three in the same flock. If the birds are in the same area this fall I will probably be around there to help one of the girls get their first.

One quick question for anyone.

Do the gobblers roost in the same area as they do in the spring?
While bowhunting last year I had four long beards come by my stand almost every morning I had the chance to hunt.

Do the birds travel more or do they just move to a fall feeding pattern?

Olesmoky

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » June 13th, 2008, 6:19 pm

ORIGINAL: olesmoky12

I'll be hunting in Ohio during the fall season and I do plan on taking advantage of being able to take either sex. I will be trying to get my first fall gobbler but my fiance is looking to take her first along with my two oldest daughters. Last fall while deer hunting during the Ohio gun season I had a large flock come into the old pasture I was hunting everyday and to my suprise three of the hens had beards that was six inches or longer. I have seen hens with beards before but not three in the same flock. If the birds are in the same area this fall I will probably be around there to help one of the girls get their first.

One quick question for anyone.

Do the gobblers roost in the same area as they do in the spring?
While bowhunting last year I had four long beards come by my stand almost every morning I had the chance to hunt.

Do the birds travel more or do they just move to a fall feeding pattern?

Olesmoky

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 20th, 2008, 1:39 pm

The cluck!   It will be the call of choice for me each morning and throughout the day. THE GOBBLER CLUCK        ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

CSHall

Postby CSHall » September 21st, 2008, 1:02 pm

You can Gobble at them, Gobbler cluck at them, fighting purr at them and gobbler yelp at them they'll all work. If you can find Denny Gulvas' Fall Turkey hunting video it is a really good overview and more of Fall Turkey hunting,calling and tactics. Midwest carries it if anyone is interested.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » September 21st, 2008, 2:33 pm

I set-up deer hunting below a large flock of turkeys.  At the first shot one shock gobbled.  Another shot brought a gobble from a second bird.  They did not gobble any more after that.  Fly down was a ball to watch.  I believe they knew I was there as I had blaze orange.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 21st, 2008, 1:01 pm

the few days i've been out i've been doing low volume and at times loud, gobbler clucks ,yelps and fighting purr occasionally. but the most used locator i've used is BOOT LEATHER. still carrying the tag .

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » October 22nd, 2008, 4:41 am

I just got back from southern In. and east central Ky., tagging birds in both states. In Ky. calling was of little use to us for some reason except for the kee kees which got good responseas far as assembly yelps,clucks and lost hen yelps, but the hens were unwilling to come in, but rather chose to stay at a distance waiting for the lost poult to come to them. The call that I heard the most of in kentucky was the fly down cackle. I tagged out by the ole spot and stalk and gettingin range.
 In In. we set at a roost sight and found that as in Ky. both hens and gobblers and jakes roosted in approximately the same area. A lot of tree yelps and clucks,many assorted kee kees,broken jake gobbles, gobblesand fly down cackles. I must say that it was the most vocal calling of turkeys that I have ever heard at one time, but what really suprised me was the number of different types of kee kees that we heard. We are currently counting 6 different variations of kee kees, but the one heard most often was, kee kee kee yelp yelp, keeping in mind that the yelp of the young bird is a combo of a kee and a yelp, sort of keelp.
     As previously stated, leather is the best locator I've found thus far followed by the assorted kee kees in the fall. 08= 10 birds down.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE1
                                                                                        L.K.LESLIE

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » October 22nd, 2008, 10:35 am

mark you are 110% correct on this one " BOOT LEATHER " as i have stated in previous posts "he who walks the most kills the most" but a kee kee will get a response, mostly by the local hen population,but many times in the fall there is one big flock of small flocks hanging out together or close to the same general area    hens jakes & long beards

when turkey hunting dont skimp on your boots they are as important as your weapon

mark hay

Postby mark hay » October 22nd, 2008, 2:36 pm

can't always do this,,, but i prefer  to always have the lightest of footwear, hunting or not. these fall temperatures are a pleasure to be in , but some mornings are rather nippy and call for more insulation on the feet,  even though it may not be cold enough to cover the ears . i suggest you try covering the head a lot more and less or lighter boots. it works for me which lets my legs last longer not being pulled down with heavy boots . my feet are about 4 feet from my heart and they have always been the first to get cold,,,, that is until i started properly covering my head to prevent the heat loss. when i started covering my head the first thing i noticed was my feet didn't get cold like they had previously. 
 just goes to show that this ol' dog can still learn a little ,,,,,,VERY SLOW sometimes though.   later                  ''ostt'

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » October 24th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Yes the keekee is the best call for fall but i always try to be in the place were they love to roust at,,,it helps if your gone to bustim up..yes the cuck is a great fall call tooo...zipperman

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting