windy 9/14

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

windy 9/14

Postby mark hay » September 15th, 2008, 1:11 am

did it blow where you are? parts of southern ohio had 78 mph gusts. i don't remember wind like that without a storm. i was outside at 5 am biulding a fire to make some coffee when the power came on. THE BIG QUESTION , how did the turkeys make out in such a gale ?

trkyklr

RE: windy 9/14

Postby trkyklr » September 16th, 2008, 1:42 am

it was super windy here also,i went to check one of my deer stands & i saw a flock of a dozen in the bull lot & 3 on a hillside.The wind calmed down later in the evening so i went to put out my deer stand on the management area & when i pulled up to my spot i saw 3 hens then i went around the bend & there was 16 more hens topped over 1 more hill & then i saw a single hen of course all of them scattered when they saw my buddies big black ford pickem up truck ,but it pumped me up for the weekend , figure ill sit in the deer stand till about 9 o'clock then them there turkeys better look out cuz ill be there in full pursuit !~!!!

ken

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 16th, 2008, 1:33 pm

hey TRKYKLR , after taking that 870 and seeing all those birds are you  going to be alright? i mean , don't you think it will be somewhat dangerous in that treestand after going several days without sleep? good hunting .later   ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » September 17th, 2008, 1:53 am

sleep deprevasion (thats a big word for my kuntry a%s)is a stategy all in its self & i have a month and a half before i can break out the new scatter gun ,surely(hopefully) i can get a little shut eye between now & then 3 1/2 more days though & the stick & string will hopefully put a few more breasts in the freezer ,when i cooked one last night i counted how many i had left & it wasnt a good number im down to 2 ,both are from one of my spring birds, i ate my last hen breast last night thats not good!!the first bird that offers an ethical shot WILL meet my arrow @ 300 fps

ken

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 17th, 2008, 1:02 pm

years ago i used an 870 exp. it was definately a turkey killing machine. BUT, i am 6' , 3'' tall and weigh in after a good meal at 165#. spent the last 24 years setting molds in the plastics business and have worn out my neck and spine. that 870 kicked me not unlike a young horse. mine was set up with a h. s. strut , undertaker .665 trky choke and several gobblers gave up the ghost at 40 yards . only gave me trouble one time . a friend and i were caught in a storm one morning. no wind just a lot of lightning , thunder and 2.5 inches of rain in 1 hour. when we finally reached the truck , the wood on the forend slide had swelled to the point that i could not unload my gun. anyhow, are you using a blind or just hoping for a single bird to come by and walk behind a tree so you can draw?   hope you have a fine hunt !           '' oldschoolturkeytactics''

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » September 18th, 2008, 1:48 am

no blinds in the fall,mostly spot & stalk,circle&bushwack i use a blind in the spring sometimes & maybe a little this fall im just not paient enough to sit in a blind all day i have an ameristep blind but i usually only use the blind when it rains if i set up to sit ill use a dead fall or sumpin, so i dont have a bunch of stuff to lug around the woods its super hilly around here as far as a single bird,im not picky single, flock,hen or gobb if theres an ethical shot im takin it i try to go by the moto either bump'em or kill'em i think that ill change my signature to that( huh...?)

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 19th, 2008, 1:00 pm

If I was twenty years younger and the economy wasn't  in the shape it is , I'd quit my job and move south,,,,,,,DA'GUMMIT MAN! I suppose you can roam ,,, not roam ,,, but hunt the hills with a tag for deer and a tag for turkeys in your pocket ? We can do that here in ohio but for only 45 days and only 1 bird. I thought that waiting for turkey law was bad in itself, but knowing you Tenessee turkey hunters have such an opportunity to spread things out through the winter is awesome and aggravating . DA'GUMMIT MAN!                              HOPE YOU KILL A LONGBEARD ,,,,,so big it'll take two trips to get'm out ofthe woods!  later  ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » September 24th, 2008, 1:56 am

move south? im glad my parents did when i was just a poult its not near as cold here as it is in ohio.i manage to get back up to ohio every couple of years for a visit & thats enough for me although i wouldnt mind goin up there & chasin' one of those giant ross county bucks.no birds here in tn yet but i did manage to arrow a spike the other morning ,ive seen birds both mornings when i have exited the woods from my morning deer hunts but have not really pursued one yet ,all ive seen has been family groups of hens & poults.it opens state wide this weekend so im sure it wont be long before i get duped by a long beard or two it can be rather difficult with the stick & string, but thats why we do it right? if it was easy everyone would be chasin birds & turkey hunting wouldnt be half as fun or rewarding

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 24th, 2008, 11:23 am

oh yeah, ohio winters can surely be rough . been doing a little deer hunting in rosscounty  for about ten years. never have filled a tag there but have seen some fine bucks.    BE SAFE ,,HAVE FUN              ''oldschool turkeytactics''

Return to Fall Hunting