any one shoot a comp-n-choke

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
eddie234

any one shoot a comp-n-choke

Postby eddie234 » September 6th, 2008, 5:54 am

I was at Cablela's last night and found a comp-n-choke for my winchester 1300 in the bargin bin for $10.00 it is XXXfull. It recommended #5 or 6's so I picked up a box on Winchster HV #6's. Any one have any experience with a comp-n-choke? or this combo?

allaboutshooting

RE: any one shoot a comp-n-choke

Postby allaboutshooting » September 6th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Hey Eddie,

You hit a home run! The CNC is a great turkey choke, proven over many years. The one you bought has an e.d. of .665 and excellent internal geometry.

It's just a bit open for the Winchester HV shell. That shell "likes" a .640-.655 e.d. better but yours should still give you excellent hunting patterns, as long as your barrel is at least 26" long.

I'd recommend that you "deep clean" both the choke and your barrel prior to going to the patterning board. That will help you see the true potential of the combination of your gun/choke/shotshell.

You made a great buy!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » September 7th, 2008, 9:19 am

I have a winchester 1300, it has a 21 or 22inch barrel. should It still pattern pretty good?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 7th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Mr. Allaboutshooting,    would please explain in detail what you mean by ''DEEP CLEAN'' ?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 7th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Hey Mark,

Yes, I'd be pleased to do that. Several years ago I discovered that many shooters were not really cleaning their shotgun barrels. They might run a bore snake down the barrel or maybe brush it but that was about it.

At best that procedure only removes some of the plastic from the wads and some of the carbon residue. Mainly, it spreads it around so that the barrel may look clean but in reality it's still very dirty.

You can read about the procedure I refer to as "deep cleaning" at http://www.allaboutshooting.com under "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" but here are the basics.

You'll need a space where you can work and that's at least 70 degrees, some rags, newspaper, cleaner or solvent like Hoppe's #9 or Gunzilla, a new or excellent condition brass/bronze bore brush, a cleaning rod, an old bore brush or a tynex bore brush, some patches and a minimun of 20 - 30 minutes.

Remove the barrel from your gun and put a flush mounted choke tube in the barrel, improved cylinder is best because it's easier on your brush. Spray a good bit of cleaner into your barrel and on your brush. Scrub the barrel with the wet brush and periodically spray more on the brush and into the barrel. It's a messy process.

Literally, scrub it for 4-5 minutes. The bore should be wet during this entire process. Now, with the bore still wet (spray more cleaner if necessary) go away for at least 10 minutes and let it set wet.

Now for the finaly process, spray more cleaner into the barrel and on your brush. Scrub it again for a few minutes.

Here's where I switch to an old bore brush or preferably a tynex brush. I put a good cotton patch over the brush and swab out the barrel until it shnes and a patch comes out really clean.

Remove the flush mounted choke and clean the interior threaded portion of the muzzle.

I use the same procedure on the choke but I use a brush made for that purpose or an old bore brush. Turkey chokes are very hard on bore brushes.

I know this procedure sounds very simple and it is but it just works. Many folks have used this procedure and saved themselves a good bit of money by not buying another turkey choke. Sometimes just cleaning a barrel and choke will really improve the performance.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 7th, 2008, 4:29 pm

Hey Eddie,

I sent you a PM with my thoughts on that. Just let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks,
Clark

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » September 15th, 2008, 3:33 pm

I called the comp n choke folks and they had no problem exchaging my .665 for a .655. I went out today and shot some, 3" Winchester HV #6 in 1 3/4oz. I think I have a pretty good combo. I had a cross wind blowing on the 30 yard shot. Something else I found out, I guess that's why you go out and pattern your gun. I have tru glo fiber optic sights and if I use them like traditional iron sights, were you make them level then put you target on top I shoot high. The front sight has to be on the top of the turkeys head to get the pattern just right. I was using a bench and bags. also I got a sims limb saver recoil pad and it works great. I got it the same time I got my choke, it to was in the bargin bin and got a great deal.
The pictures are listed 20 yards, 30 yards and 40 yards
ImageImageImage

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 15th, 2008, 5:31 pm

Hey Eddie,

I'd say you have a dead bird at all those distances! The folks at CNC are just "good people" and make a great product that has been proven for years and years.

Charlie Boswell, owner of CNC and Kick's won the World Championship Still Target Shoot in '98 & '99 and probably could have just kept on winning it, if he'd chosen to keep on shooting. He used the CNC and Winchester HV shells. It's sitll a winning combination today!

Best of luck with your new combo and just let me know if I can ever be of help.

Thanks,
Clark

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 16th, 2008, 2:28 pm

allaboutshooting ,,   many thanks for the recipe . i had forgotten that i had asked about it. i'll give it a wirl before season. i guess i'll have to do a little change up with the brushes since i shoot a fixed choke double. thanks again.        ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » October 5th, 2008, 3:35 am

Hi Mark, yes do give Clark's recipe for deep cleaning a try, as when I tried it I realized another 19, #6 shot in the target at 40 yds. on my 835 Mossberg. The man knows what he is talkin bout! Also I do understand how tight money is in these economically trying times, so if you really want that gobbler specific box, just call cause I'm flexible and willing to work with you. Just wanna see ya have what ya want!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                                  L.K.LESLIE   

Return to Shooting